97 Tahoe Dash Lights/Marker Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokerstar17268

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

The search function didn't seem to yield any answers. I have a 1997 Tahoe LT with some lighting troubles. I thought I had smelled something burning occasionally over the past month or so. My dash lights stopped working and my side marker lights no longer work. Everything else seems to work fine (brakes lights, hazard, headlights, stereo, blower, dome lights, etc. I even replaced the headlight switch since I had a similar problem on a Jeep I used to own. Any ideas what may be wrong? Thank you in advance for your responses!

Eric

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it take out any fuses? Were you able to find what was causing the smell? Did the smell go away when the lights stopped working? Did any symptoms change when you replaced the headlight switch?

Pokerstar17268

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. All fuses checked out OK before replacing the headlight switch. The condition did not change after replacing the switch. The smell may not even be associated with the condition as both times I smelled it, my wife claimed she didn't smell a thing.

:confused:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a tough one to diagnose without being able to look at it myself. If you think you smelled something burning, you probably did even if your wife didn't. Especially if the smell was right before you started having your lighting problems.

Your best bet is to get ahold of some wiring diagrams and see of the lights that are not working are on a common circuit. If you don't have any blown fuses, then there is not a short to ground, but most likely an open somewhere in the circuit.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'll try to find some wiring diagrams tomorrow ans see if I can figure anything out.

Pokerstar17268

Reaction score
Mike, thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question. The problem is fixed after I diagnosed myself as being a complete idiot. I've only had my Tahoe for about a year now. After installing my brake box for towing, I thought the fuse box in the engine compartment was the only fuse box on the vehicle - WRONG! I finally discovered the fuse block along the drivers side dash panel. Of course, I found a blown fuse. Everything appears to be working fine after some serious drive time today.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it working. Sure sounded like a fuse problem to me. Don't be too hard on yourself. I've learned some of my best lessions by doing stuff that I would now think of as idiotic. Consider it a learning experience.:)

Mike, thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question. The problem is fixed after I diagnosed myself as being a complete idiot. I've only had my Tahoe for about a year now. After installing my brake box for towing, I thought the fuse box in the engine compartment was the only fuse box on the vehicle - WRONG! I finally discovered the fuse block along the drivers side dash panel. Of course, I found a blown fuse. Everything appears to be working fine after some serious drive time today.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on yourself. I've learned some of my best lessions by doing stuff that I would now think of as idiotic. Consider it a learning experience.:)

good advice :thumbsup: