Pioneer AVIC D3 in my LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike B

Reaction score
Hello all.

I recently acquired my first Chevrolet, it is a 2008 Tahoe LTZ. It came with the factory DVD player without navigation. I had a local stereo shop install a Pioneer AVIC D3 in it. All the features including onstar and my steering wheel controls work fine.

However, the wireless headphones that come with the vehicle no longer work. In addition, the rear audio control for my kids no longer communicates with the wireless headphones. The stereo shop is pointing the finger in all directions but themselves. I do not want to visit them again and and destined to fix this problem. Can anybody point me in the right direction to get this fixed? I would consider myself somewhat mechanically inclinded. The only reason why I had them do the work was lack of time in my part.

Thanks,
MB

carshius

Reaction score
I hope that you are able to find a solution. If you find it somewhere else please post it here. I have a D-3 in my 2500HD and want to put one in My Tahoe, but the local stereo shop is reluctant to take on the job. I have the dual slot factory player with cd and DVD and the rear overhead monitor with the wireless headphones. Good luck.

Mike B

Reaction score
I finally yanked out my D3 after all the frusteration that was involved. The factory DVD player will not communicate properly with the D3. The factory head phones will not work NOR will the rear audio command center. The only thing I found advantageous with the D3 was the more "up to date" looking menu's. It had more features but it disabled alot of significant features in my LTZ.

So I bought one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...60195160482&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

It is a factory replica and it works 100% fine with me components. If you buy this same unit from the dealership, it will cost you about $2800.

My suggestion, stay with the factory player or get the factory/replica head unit.

carshius

Reaction score
i still have my d-3 in my truck, and absolutely love it. it doesn't look out of place at all. is the radio used above a factory piece, because from the look of the e-bay link it looks to be. not a bad price if everything works with the rear seat entertainment like factory...

sredish

Reaction score
what mounting install kits did you use and how do they look? I know Metra Scosche both make them and didn't know if there was a visual difference?

Elpresidente

Reaction score
i was looking into the D3 also and my local dealer told me i would loose the use of the rear audio control center. because they do not have any wire harness out there right now that can connect both systems with any aftermarket radios.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the PAC audio harness Part Number: GMRVD will retain rear head sets. However the D3 is not a dual zone head unit, there for you can not listen to two seperate audio sources.

Elpresidente

Reaction score
hey Scotto2323,
hit me up on my email so i can get with you 1 on 1 and maybe you can give me some more advice because they are about to begin installing my A/V system next week and if there is anything you may know that will benifit me i would be most grateful

andyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that the PAC audio harness Part Number: GMRVD will retain rear head sets. However the D3 is not a dual zone head unit, there for you can not listen to two seperate audio sources.

My D3 works great. I can use the headsets in the rear and watch a DVD in the front with seperate audio.

scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, thats cool. Are you playing the DVD in the D3 or do you have a seperate player? Why don't you post up everthing that was used in your setup.

All the harnesses, adapters, steering wheel control adapter? Just so others can see what is needed.

andyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, thats cool. Are you playing the DVD in the D3 or do you have a seperate player? Why don't you post up everthing that was used in your setup.

All the harnesses, adapters, steering wheel control adapter? Just so others can see what is needed.

One dvd in the d3, and the other in the rear unit. As far as the equipment used, you would have to ask my installer(sorry) not that good at audio yet.

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you yanked out your D3? what u gonna do bro... sell it? i think thats the radio im looking to get... :git:

ellasman

Reaction score
Adpt. Help & Solution Here For Mikeb's Nav

MIKE B .....

I'm very sad to hear you spent all this time and money on a AVIC Z3... I am new to this forum because I will be purchasing a Tahoe here in the next few weeks. And want to do some research before i make my purchase on future mods and custom work.... I need to pull all my audio gear out of my 03 passat first !!! At any rate, I'm a young guy and I was an audio installer at a big box store for 5 years, while I was in College.

Its unfortunate to hear the audio shop has absolutly no experience with using factory equipment and integrating it to aftermarket head units. They got your steering wheels controls programed with an adaptor, probably from PAC... which on its own requires some expertice to install, program and sell.... Needless to say, PAC also makes an adaptor for your rear audio controls and headsets to integrate with a new head unit... in your case the navigation Avic Z3 ... its the PAC C2R-GM29 ..... Your audio shop simply hasn't kept up with changing technologies and adaptors.

I personally am a PIONEER navigation guy. I've installed all the big brands in cars and I favor the Pioneer units. They are always first in nav software, easiest to use and yearly good updated maps, every year they streamline their units and amounts of wires / cables / hidden boxs / modules needed to install them with. Touch screen !!!! Anyway with that being said, i know you pulled it... but if you want to install it again its easy to do... keep in mind, you can call www.pac-audio.com and talk to on of the techs and they'll dub down all the tech terms and in lamens terms explain to you how and what their interface will do for you.

Good luck with your nav system !!!