Hard Wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THunter

Reaction score
I'm a first time Tahoe owner with a 1999 Tahoe LT - Red in color. I'm a volunteer firefighter in Indiana so I'm working on installing my radios and needed electronics in it today. I'm having trouble figuring out where to run my hot wires, in my jeep it was just plug in and put the fuse overtop of it. Seems to be a bit more difficult on the 'hoe. I'm also assuming that I'll need to run my lightbar switchbox directly to the battery - which is what I was planning to do.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the forum ... I am new here too and I wanted to tell you to remove the fuse box cover under the hood and you will notice 2 power posts that you can use

THunter

Reaction score
Makes sense - is there an opening that leads into the hood area or will I need to drill one?

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drill one, but make sure u don't hit anything important like a/c. also, use a rubber grommet to keep the water out and prevent the wire from chaffing. i suggest under the carpet to passenger side firewall b/c thats the side where yer battery is, unless of course u have 2 batteries. good luck and thanks for protecting us!

THunter

Reaction score
Well I'm looking to connect to the fuse-relay box, I'm not real big on connecting stuff to the battery, seen quite a few car fires that have been caused by overloaded batteries

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont need to drill just go through the holes allready there just take your time you will find them start by looking from outside in

THunter

Reaction score
Sure - Give me a few days to get my new lightbar on top and the rest of my radios and stuff mounted and I'll get a few up.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure - Give me a few days to get my new lightbar on top and the rest of my radios and stuff mounted and I'll get a few up.

sounds like its gunna be awsome :D

also can you tell me about the light bar process, i want to get a light bar with 4 kc off road lights but installation is buggin me. :mob:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea fires can occur from faulty wiring or overloaded batteries. i figured you would need a bigger gauge wire than would work at the fuse box. i know i did for my sound system. i used 4 gauge power wire and ground. i routed the power wire as i described earlier and of course used a fuse between the amp and the battery. i only drilled a hole b/c the 4 guage wire wouldn't fit through any existing holes.

glad u got it all wired up. hit us with some pics if u have time

kiddcarbuff

Reaction score
yeah pics!! im looking into installing strobes in my turn signals since im also a fire fighter.

THunter

Reaction score
I'm putting strobes in the tail lights (Brake and Reverse) and I'm installing wigwags on the high-beams in the front. I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick out an LED lightbar and maybe some others too. Should have the pics up this week.

THunter

Reaction score
Yeah...they make the head lights flash back and forth

x----o
o----x
x----o
o----x

like that

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where are you getting your lighting acessories at? i have been wanting to run a Emergency Vehicle type of set-up on my truck.

THunter

Reaction score
I get them from a store in town. They are the main dealer for the local depts - however, you have to have permission to buy from them - several places are online though try galls.com or code3pse.com

kiddcarbuff

Reaction score
no pics???? im waitnig to install my setup in my hoe, it mimicks the chieft tahoe except mine is green while his is white like out trucks

THunter

Reaction score
Sorry bud - Haven't got everything wired up yet - still deciding what I want where. I think I'm going to have a professional put everything in so that it is high quality and looks good.