K&N instructions PART 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
thats excatly what i have but it seems to keep coming apart where the mass airflow goes into the metal shrowed, but its a great intake, great post!, oh a cheap trick if u want ur ac metal fittins nice an shinie use mothers aluminium polish on them, like that big metal canister right there in the pic, they clean up really nice

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock intake is crappy rubber hose that is not smooth and that doesn't flow as good as the K&N intake. the k&n intake tube is shiny on the inside and it flows great. plus the heatshield and larger filter provide more air at a lower temperature. they claim an increase of 9 rear wheel horsepower on the dyno sheet for a '96 hoe which is posted at the beginning. im about to take apart my mass airflow sensor and get that honeycomb sh!t outta there for even better flow.

my k&n is pretty damn loud, but it don't sound like no supercharger. blowers make a high-pitch, whine noise and my k&n makes a deep, air-sucking sound

mine seems to be assembled solid as a rock. i tightened the hose clamps a few extra times and those screws in the passenger side fender well real good too. i've been thrashing it over some bumpy ass trails too, no problems here

well not yet anyways...

=)

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gutted maf

i took the honey comb out, it was so rediculously easy! now my intake is WAAAAAAAY louder. not sure if i like the loudness. also not sure if it helped anything. o well, truck still runs fine. if u wanna do this. take the 4 bolts out that hold the maf together. then u can just use the bottom of a screw driver handle to punch out the honey comb. be sure u don't touch or bend the sensor nodes (thin metal bars) that run vertically inside the housing. bingo, 20% more airflow in 5 minutes. i don't see how it can hurt anything, it basically turns your stocker into a granatelli

Last edited:

drumrpunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a word of warning. If you plan on using the K&N kit, you most likely cannot add an intake spacer later down the road. I have a couple of friends who ran into that problem. The K&N kit will end up hitting your hood due to the raised throttle body from the spacer. So keep that in mind if you want to do both to your ride. :thumbsup:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i had the fitment problems with a k&n + helix power tower on my s10 pickup (my avatar). i just beat the hell out of my K&N intake with a hammer where it was hitting the hood and reshaped it so it would fit. i am pretty sure the same method will work for our tahoes. if not, there's always the cowl induction hood....

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that K&N kit on my '99 Denali, and after a yr or so, the orange silicone that attaches the TB to the K&N tube got ripped (too much engine movement?). Also, 1 of the 2 bolts holding the cold air box got sheared. I never got around to contacting K&N for a new silicone connector... and ended up using the stock air tube (yea, the corrugated one) w/ the big ugly Vortec box on it). Anyway, it still breathes fine, and it's much quieter than the K&N tube.

The K&N filter itself is huge.. and I have had it for 150k miles and alsmot 10 yrs. Even now, after a nice cleaning, it's just like new again. Gotta love it.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after a yr or so, the orange silicone that attaches the TB to the K&N tube got ripped (too much engine movement?). Also, 1 of the 2 bolts holding the cold air box got sheared.

you must be driving like a mad man!

i drive pretty hard and i make sure to check my kit's tightness after a good thrashing off road. the hose clamps must be secure (but not overtightened or it will rip). as for shearing the bolts, WOW! only thing i could thing of is that they were installed improperly (backwards or not tight enough).