Header install is now complete pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes.:thumbsup:
My friend Jiminey came over last night and we slapped in the new Flowtech headers I bought from Summit.
The installation was unremarkable in most ways, the most exciting part being a slight modification of the dipstick bracket, and me drinking beer.
I removed the CAI, dipstick, and got all the wire looms out of the way, and then let Jiminey do his thing.:cool2:
Drivers side was tougher than the intake side, simply because of a pressure hose that needed to be attached to the header. It is near the firewall, and was a tight fit with getting the wrench in there.:cuss:

All in all, a very easy upgrade for the 99 yukon denali. taking our time, and drinking beer and talking, took about 4 hours.:alc:

as you can see, we got some bonus horsepower from the new sparkplug wire heat shields... about 7 hp extra, i would guess.(per wire, that is) :ack:

Anyway, they look better than stock, and the sound changed a little as well.
Ill let you guys know how it drives later today when I take it out on the road. but I could tell from just idling and revving it the garage, it was a different tone. it sounded deeper and gurgley-er, if that makes sense.

my next step is to find someone that believes in my true-duals idea and to save some money for that.

thanks for your advice guys, heres a few pics.

Pete

Attachments

• HEADER1.JPG
    HEADER1.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 64
  • HEADERCLEAN.JPG
    HEADERCLEAN.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 57
  • HEADEROLD.JPG
    HEADEROLD.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 54
  • HEADERDONE.JPG
    HEADERDONE.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 59
  • HEADERDONE-1.JPG
    HEADERDONE-1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 64

mudmyhoe

Reaction score
Pete,

Looks good! What did everything set you back? Do you have a programmer installed? If so was that calibration easy? I am looking to add some headers this summer to my 99 Tahoe.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mud, I appriciate that.

I got the headers from Summit BIG-91832-1FLT, and they were 345.95$.

I was told by the dudes here in the forum to get the cold air and exhaust handled before getting a programmer ( to maximize the effect). So i dont have that yet.
Now that the headers are on, the next bottleneck in my exhaust are the pipes that go from the header to the cats and then on to the exhaust.
after i get all that taken care of, I will start the search for the programmer.

I looked at the superchips Flashpack ( or whatever its called) and that only had 3 settings. normal 87 fuel, towing, and performance on 93 fuel. the dude at Ultimate Truck had one of these, but said he didnt notice a change in performance, and also didnt want to run 93 octane in his ride.
So i am a bit confused on what programmer to get, but whatever I choose, I want it to have more 'control' of settings, and more tailored to my cars setup, instaed of something generic.

dude, when you slap on headers, prepare for the coolest sound your truck ever made.

racebronco

Reaction score
looks good man, I'd like to put some on my hoe some day, hopefully get a few more ponies for towing. it looks like you have some MSD wires, are generic for any chevy v8 or specific for your vehicle aplication??

by the way, I have the older Hypertech power programmer 3 & I can't tell any difference in performance. I was told superchips can custom tailer a programmer for you if you tell them you specs.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had a chance to do any real monitoring of the mileage so far. Its winter for me and I warm the truck up a lot in the morning and I'm usng the 4wd more etc.
I dont think I would get anything accurate.. I would like to think that there would be a slight increase, but Im not sure how much.
I also tried to watch my mileage when I installed the new air intake.. and the new exhaust... but I ended up just driving it harder cause it sounded better and responded better.. I think once I resume grandpa-drive style, like I normally do, then I can report on the MPG increases.

but thanks for asking and reading my post,
Pete

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as you can see, we got some bonus horsepower from the new sparkplug wire heat shields... about 7 hp extra, i would guess.(per wire, that is) :ack:

Pete

The header install that you did was inspirational and I have decided to make this my first spring addition to my hoe. One question on the sparky wires though if you don't mind. What is one of the better precut brands and sizes of wire for my stock motor, and will some shields be necessary with the difference in heat dissipation by the headers.

I especially like this conversion since it seems to be a pull and replace type item with little or no mod required.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
...Drivers side was tougher than the intake side, simply because of a pressure hose that needed to be attached to the header. It is near the firewall, and was a tight fit with getting the wrench in there.:cuss:

...my next step is to find someone that believes in my true-duals idea and to save some money for that.

Pete

Hey Pete, nice addition to your truck. Headers are always nice. Just a tip for others who may be doing this themselves; Even though there's a lot of room to work with in the engine bay, you might find it easier to remove the front wheels, then remove the plastic inner fender cover. You can gain access to the exhaust manifold easier and the entire job will go by much smoother.
And when you install your dual set-up, use a crossover to help balance the exhaust flow.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words you guys. I appreciate it.

Rick.
I bought the MSD wires a while back, I dont remember exactly where from. They are 8.5, and slightly bigger than stock, but still fit in the looms and stuff..But these would fit my truck 1999denali (1998 yukon) you just lay them out on the table, and take off one original, match it to the length, and put the new one on. Do this one at a time, so you dont get mixed up and get the firing out of order. http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840140+4294907938+4294924677+115&autoview=sku

the heat shields that are currently on your exhaust manifolds come off during the header install, and thats why i put on the insulator boots. those I got here: http://cableorganizer.com/insultherm-spark/ you can pick your color and number of cylinders etc. they are universal. When putting these on the only catch was to put it on at the distributor end, and slide it to the plug end, because its hard to make it corner around the 90 degree boot. Putting them on from the other side made that easier. I put them on since the stock ones were gone and I didnt want to melt the wires.
MSD is a great brand I think, maybe the other guys will have more idea too.

Getting access thru the inner fender maybe would have been easier too. I actually didnt even cosider that one.. Im not sure if I have those access panels.

JK, thanks for the kind words.
I didnt put duals on it like I wanted.. maybe next truck. I just put a flowmaster super 40 on there. 2 in 2 out style, and had muffler man make some tail pipes etc.
last piece of the puzzle for me is the magnaflow 23453 connector/cats. then the exhaust will be totally open.

thanks for reading my posts guys, and thanks for your help

carlitos1122

Reaction score
did you ever try deleteing the EGR and do u have pic of installing the driver side headers?

stkr

Reaction score
have you tried changing the spark plugs after the headers are installed?