Fuel Tank Heat Shield on a 96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

karr95

Reaction score
OK, so I went to the tire shop this weekend to get my new rims thrown on plus an alignment. So the guy asks me if I have been hearing a swishing sound or metal grinding sound while I'm driving. I look under the truck and the fuel tank heat shield is rotted away to just about nothing and is resting against the driveshaft.

So my girlfriend followed me home and she saw sparks the entire time while I was moving. So I went home, whipped out the sheet metal sheers and cut away the whole side of it (that faces the driveshaft). My question is, will it be ok the way it is or do I gotta look for a replacement? Please keep in mind I do not go offroading with the truck or do any major towing. Mostly it is just 3 miles to work and 3 miles home.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont need it it is there because the nhtsb made gm put it there in case the u joints or driveshaft breaks it won't grenade the fuel tank.

sterios

Reaction score
heat shield

I just replaced mine along with the fuel pump. Cost 134 bucks canadian and it's heavy. Figured I don't do any off roading but it's still nice to have that plastic tank protected from crap shooting up from under the tires. Same year as yours so i figure if it lasts another 11 years it's not so bad.