2 Door Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhett325i

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am currently in the market for a 2Dr Tahoe 4x4, and I have a few questions.

what are the transfer case options? I have searched around a bit, but could only deduce that there are 2 different cases. One is the push-button, and one has a lever. Any pros and cons between the 2?

Did only the 1998 and 1999 model years come with the factory fender flares? if so, how hard/expensive would it be to fit them onto a pre-1998'hoe?

What options does the Z-71 package come with? is it even worth it to hold out for a Z-71?

Are there any "must-haves" that definately are worth holding out to find?

Are there any things (tahoe specific) to look out for?

I've been wanting one of these for years, researching for about a month, and I just wanted to get some opinions from current owners who love their hoes.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got a 96 2 door LS. factory fender flares, and push button 4x4. haven't had any problems with my t-case. seems the only thing that goes bad is the sensor that changes it into the different ranges.

about to roll over 165,000 miles on it. the newer ones have autotrac on them. if you plan on lifting it, the kits run about $1K more than the older non autotrac versions.

the factor fender flares are bolted on around the top of the flair and screwed in in the wheel well. it could be done but its going to be a pain in the ass to put factory flares on one that doesn't already have them.

rhett325i

Reaction score
I searched around and found some info on autotrac

are the only options on this TC "auto" and "2WD"?

Are there any reliability issues with autotrac, or is it just a pain in the ass to lift a tahoe that has it?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres something different with the lift for an auto trac. if you look through any 4wd catalogs they are all more expensive. couldn't say whats actually different.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, Chevrolet didn't offer a Z71 package on the two-door 95-99 Tahoes. There was one on the 1999-2000 old body style four doors though. I'm pretty sure if you see a 1995-99 two-door with Z71 it is just a sticker someone put on it. But to be sure, check the label in the glove box and see if "Z71" is an option code listed. If it is there, it has a factory Z71 package on it. Otherwise, it's just a sticker someone put on there.

Anyways, the Z71 pickups had the skid plates, heavy duty shocks and maybe something else but not much.

The autotrac was added for 1998. It offers 2Hi, 4Lo, 4Hi and Auto push-button settings. If in Auto, I'm pretty sure it runs in 2Hi and only engages 4x4 when it detects wheels slipping. I think the ones before that (without Auto) were called Insta-trac.

Those are nice trucks and are getting hard to come by, I've always wanted one but have never gotten around to it...or the extra money to play around with! Good luck in the search.

Surfer27

Reaction score
From what I understand, Chevrolet didn't offer a Z71 package on the two-door 95-99 Tahoes. There was one on the 1999-2000 old body style four doors though. I'm pretty sure if you see a 1995-99 two-door with Z71 it is just a sticker someone put on it. But to be sure, check the label in the glove box and see if "Z71" is an option code listed. If it is there, it has a factory Z71 package on it. Otherwise, it's just a sticker someone put on there.

my 95 has the Z71 option, they did make them, it is listed on the build code sticker in the glove box

pilot brandon

Reaction score
My 98 has the z71 option with a lever selector TC. Is autotrac only with the push button?

blackedhoe

Reaction score
i think they quit making the z71 hoe i no they had it in 95 but i am pretty sure thats the last year. I GOT A 99 2DR TAHOE SPORT with auto trac or also known as awd ( all wheel drive). when you engage it it is just like the ss silverado or a subaru that is all wheel drive same thing. I love it i love ****tin and gettin in it. the only reason i see a point in awd is in the rain cause with it on you put the petal to the metal it would launch like its dry and its good for the wife helps them stay on the road so i think its good to have i love it

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
z71 package consists of stiffer shocks, skid plates, lower gear ratio, and aux trans cooler if i am not mistaken.

SmothZ71

Reaction score

Incorrect, the Z71 package was available through 1999, I have a 97 Sport Z71.
It includes shocks, skid plates and AT tires.
http://www.media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/products/chevy_truck/archives/1997Tahoe.html

Although the Z71 doesn't offer anything to be considered a "must-have", I have always wanted one. It is hard enough to find a decent 2-door, and much harder to find a Z71 Sport model. I lucked out and found mine after just two weeks of searching. I have only come across two others since then, and very rarely over the years have I seen them on the road.

Mark 97 Tahoe

Reaction score
I got the Z71 on mine also. Does it have an extra leaf spring in back or stiffer springs or just the Bilstein shocks that make it stiffer riding?

004x4Hoe

Reaction score
Sweet...I didnt know mine was a z71 till I looked closer to the vin. I got a 99 LS with sunroof and fully loaded. It was repainted in 04 so the owner let the z71 sticker off of it. Yeah and it stock but my hoe is taller than my coworkers 98 and his is a 4x4 but not z71 and we have the same size tires 265/75/16. wierd! I gotta fill that fender gap.:yesnod: