PDA

View Full Version : Hummers New Jeep Killer?

LAP TOP GAMER
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.hummer-net.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858
I gotta say from looking at the pictures, if they just stuck a V8 in that bad boy it would be a Rubicon killer.

JRTV8
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Hmmm actually not bad... I kinda like it!!

fco_gonzo
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I would still prefer a jeep with a chevy engine (a nice 305 small block)!

LAP TOP GAMER
01-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Well considering how cheaply put together the current Wrangler is I would take the new Hummer any day.

fco_gonzo
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I got to drive one of the new 4 door wrangler (jk?) and I was not impressed at all. the only thing I liked about it was how easy the top came off. under the hood, well, there is lot for room for improvement from DC.

Rollin Thunder
01-10-2008, 03:08 AM

putting a chevy in a jeep and takeing it off roads like putting an infant in a souped up walker and takeing it off road. leave it for the adults with the real power

jeep = infant in souped up walkers, still get stuck and are learning the basics

hummer = skips infancy and instantly matures and off roads like theres no tomarrow.

LAP TOP GAMER
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
putting a chevy in a jeep and takeing it off roads like putting an infant in a souped up walker and takeing it off road. leave it for the adults with the real power

hummer = skips infancy and instantly matures and off roads like theres no tomarrow.

Well said.

LAP TOP GAMER
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I got to drive one of the new 4 door wrangler (jk?) and I was not impressed at all. the only thing I liked about it was how easy the top came off. under the hood, well, there is lot for room for improvement from DC.

So you noticed the thin sheet metal and the cheap plastic too.

fco_gonzo
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM

From personal and professional (I manage a fleet) experiance i can tell that the Hummers (H1) are pieces of crap. Our 2003 wranglers tend to hold up better and spend less time in shops. I for one hate jeeps and hummers. I have seen many jeeps with bigger engines (chevy and ford engine) out perform many other supped up rigs. A stock jeep is an okay right out the box and is affordable under almost any budget. Now a hummer H1 cost at least $100K very few people can afford it.

BTW my brother had (sold it a couple months back due to divorce) the one of jeeps I've been talking about.

fco_gonzo
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
So you noticed the thin sheet metal and the cheap plastic too.

just like it says on the warning sticker ....to protect you from the enviroment... nothing more nothing less. But I did like the fact that they are easy to remove nice to have out on the beach or during the spring.

Not enough reasons to make me buy a jeep. :ktoe:

LAP TOP GAMER
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
From personal and professional (I manage a fleet) experiance i can tell that the Hummers (H1) are pieces of crap. Our 2003 wranglers tend to hold up better and spend less time in shops. I for one hate jeeps and hummers. I have seen many jeeps with bigger engines (chevy and ford engine) out perform many other supped up rigs. A stock jeep is an okay right out the box and is affordable under almost any budget. Now a hummer H1 cost at least $100K very few people can afford it.

BTW my brother had (sold it a couple months back due to divorce) the one of jeeps I've been talking about.

The JK Wrangler is where the quality went south as the cheap plastic and thinner metal, the TJ was the last good jeep.

fco_gonzo
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
like i said I before I was not impressed at all. I was hoping that this jk would be the model that would make me buy one. Your right I'll take any older CJ7 or TJ before this new model.

Rollin Thunder
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
the hummer h1 is one of the strongest vehicle AM general ever made, i watched a review (thanks to get wired) the heavy metal video, he said it had a lot of cons as its not a daily driver with no sound insolation, not real good seats and a complete off road suspension. but his exact words " i tried to break it, but it broke me, THIS THING IS UNSTOPABLE OFF ROAD"

plus they have a diesel, i have driven one, one of my buddies dad has one, they actully drive better than you think and he said its been in the shop for oil changes, new tires, and once for a new radiator. but every vehicle is different, even the same model. :D

but yes EXPENSIVE, 100k is a new boat for me. plus my yukon off roads just fine, no need for a hummer, i would just get it for an ego thing if i had money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

as i say the only other vehicles i would take off road other than a hummer are, my yukon, my future tahoe, my old k5 blazer, and an old land rover, one of the only vehicles the british got right. but the new land rovers are terrible, my neighbor just bought his wife a 2008 range rover, i rode in it, ride it rough, preformance for a 400 hp v8 is amazingly BAD. the older landrovers are awsome though, 70% of them are still on the road today.

LAP TOP GAMER
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I was a big time jeeper at one time, but watching what Chrysler has done to jeep is just a crime.

Rollin Thunder
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
I was a big time jeeper at one time, but watching what Chrysler has done to jeep is just a crime.

i almost bought a dodge charger insted of the yukon, but the inteirors are crap in those too. the 08s are even worse, i hate the new owners 'budget cuts"

Gambler
01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I really like the way that thing looks! There is no way I'd fit in it with the roof on though...

fco_gonzo
01-10-2008, 06:03 PM
...." i tried to break it, but it broke me, THIS THING IS UNSTOPABLE OFF ROAD" .....

Its different when you own that vehicle versus some guy driving it and pushing it to it limits., you are never going to push your dialy driver to it limits. I will never take my tahoe and push it the point that I'll break it. I have seen hummers stuck in mud and it took a 2003 chevy 2500 diesel to pull it out. If i had only driving one hummer in my life, one time, I would think the same as you. I have driven several (more than one) different hummers (military and cilvian) and they can be stopped. Don't get me wrong they are very capable off raod but by no means unstoppable.

Rollin Thunder
01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Its different when you own that vehicle versus some guy driving it and pushing it to it limits., you are never going to push your dialy driver to it limits. I will never take my tahoe and push it the point that I'll break it. I have seen hummers stuck in mud and it took a 2003 chevy 2500 diesel to pull it out. If i had only driving one hummer in my life, one time, I would think the same as you. I have driven several (more than one) different hummers (military and cilvian) and they can be stopped. Don't get me wrong they are very capable off raod but by no means unstoppable.

no car/truck/suv/ hummer is un stopable but i truly think the hummer can off road better than a jeep but for my needs i think my yukon is just fine. only got stuck once. :D

LAP TOP GAMER
01-10-2008, 07:27 PM
It is all about comfort for me as I have been there done that in the off road thing, broken enough stuff. I have seen some good drivers that really know their vehicles. The H1 preforms well in the sand, but rock crawling is not where the H1 shines. I have watched Rubicon Wranglers totaly embarrass an H1.

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
It is all about comfort for me as I have been there done that in the off road thing, broken enough stuff. I have seen some good drivers that really know their vehicles. The H1 preforms well in the sand, but rock crawling is not where the H1 shines. I have watched Rubicon Wranglers totaly embarrass an H1.

yea but rock crawling is VERY un settling, sand driving is calming as you are usually by the ocean . i would rather beach drive than rock crawl.

btw, got an off road vacation between the 4 and 8th of march, will definatly post pics of the kon at its best.

LAP TOP GAMER
01-11-2008, 01:54 AM
yea but rock crawling is VERY un settling, sand driving is calming as you are usually by the ocean . i would rather beach drive than rock crawl.

btw, got an off road vacation between the 4 and 8th of march, will definatly post pics of the kon at its best.

We have to see this, but can you stomach the potential body damage? what becomes unsettling is the scraping sound you hear as you ask you're self, did I pick a good line, and what is the damage to the skid plate?

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 01:57 AM
We have to see this, but can you stomach the potential body damage?

im not rock crawling in the kon, im muddin and beach driving, not much of a risk of body damage enless i hit a shark or somthing :lol:

bparker
01-11-2008, 02:27 AM
If you think Jeeps are well built - have a look at this thread...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32007

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 02:32 AM

holy crap, just proovs what we all have been saying.

LAP TOP GAMER
01-11-2008, 03:29 AM
holy crap, just proovs what we all have been saying.

that just confirmed what a POS they have become, I ran over bigger stuff than that in my old XJ and never would think of that happening. WOW what a POS Chrysler is building!:wow: :wow:

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 03:32 AM
that just confirmed what a POS they have become, I ran over bigger stuff than that in my old XJ and never would think of that happening. WOW what a POS Chrysler is building!:wow: :wow:

looks like they made the real ranglers out of the same meterial powerwheels uses for their toy jeeps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

LAP TOP GAMER
01-11-2008, 03:40 AM
looks like they made the real ranglers out of the same meterial powerwheels uses for their toy jeeps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Dude if this is the crap jeep is putting out than Hummer has absolutely nothing to worry about.

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Dude if this is the crap jeep is putting out than Hummer has absolutely nothing to worry about.

landrover is their only competiror now.

JRTV8
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM

damn...

JRTV8
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
landrover is their only competiror now.

I heard and seen landrover had too many drivetrain issues. (transmission)

JRTV8
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM

yeah mostly all cars now are not making them how they should be...:nonod:

Rollin Thunder
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I heard and seen landrover had too many drivetrain issues. (transmission)

my neighbor just got his wife an 08 range rover, thier crap too, no power, well it picks up worse than a VW bus. seats are boreds with leather (fake too, not as nice as my yukons leather) and all for 80k.

LAP TOP GAMER
02-04-2008, 02:16 AM
my neighbor just got his wife an 08 range rover, thier crap too, no power, well it picks up worse than a VW bus. seats are boreds with leather (fake too, not as nice as my yukons leather) and all for 80k.

What did I tell you?, Land Rover = crap, highly polished crap, but still crap. I have to laugh at the fools who buy them.

Crazydefense32
02-04-2008, 02:27 AM
What did I tell you?, Land Rover = crap, highly polished crap, but still crap. I have to laugh at the fools who buy them.

Yea they definately suck, but, in my opinion, they look pretty good which is how they lure you in! :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder
02-04-2008, 02:35 AM

yea, i forgot i posted that, i went and drove it ( watched their kids and they told me to drive their since they dont trust gmc ( @ss holes) ) but it drove ok, just felt like it had no power, and after an hour of driving i was bored, and uncomfortable. glad im not getting one.

LAP TOP GAMER
02-07-2008, 10:43 AM
yea, i forgot i posted that, i went and drove it ( watched their kids and they told me to drive their since they dont trust gmc ( @ss holes) ) but it drove ok, just felt like it had no power, and after an hour of driving i was bored, and uncomfortable. glad im not getting one.

Yeah you just did you're self a big favor by walking away.

Donkey punch
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
The H1 is in my opinion the only hummer even worth mentioning. Though it is was not built for offroading. The H2 is a joke... period. the H3 is better than an H2 but with such a ****ty drive train, it might as well just stay as a mall crawler just like the 90% that are on the road. That goes for the Land Rover as well. For the money spent on each of those stock vehicles, you could build any jeep.. **** even my grand cherokee to out wheel them. Now, im not a fan of jeeps build quality but for enthusiast we stick to our own rather than to get the newest shiny vehicle on the market. Here is a quote from an april 06' car and driver issue.

"The idea for this test was sparked by thhe Hummer public-relators, who swore their H3 was to off-roading wat a Daisy Cutter is to Fourth of July firecrackers. 'Only a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon can beat us,' they boasted 'and we don't compete with that."

Now perhaps the new hummer could be something great.. but we'll see what happends.