Hummers New Jeep Killer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still prefer a jeep with a chevy engine (a nice 305 small block)!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to drive one of the new 4 door wrangler (jk?) and I was not impressed at all. the only thing I liked about it was how easy the top came off. under the hood, well, there is lot for room for improvement from DC.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still prefer a jeep with a chevy engine (a nice 305 small block)!

putting a chevy in a jeep and takeing it off roads like putting an infant in a souped up walker and takeing it off road. leave it for the adults with the real power

jeep = infant in souped up walkers, still get stuck and are learning the basics

hummer = skips infancy and instantly matures and off roads like theres no tomarrow.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
putting a chevy in a jeep and takeing it off roads like putting an infant in a souped up walker and takeing it off road. leave it for the adults with the real power

hummer = skips infancy and instantly matures and off roads like theres no tomarrow.

Well said.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From personal and professional (I manage a fleet) experiance i can tell that the Hummers (H1) are pieces of crap. Our 2003 wranglers tend to hold up better and spend less time in shops. I for one hate jeeps and hummers. I have seen many jeeps with bigger engines (chevy and ford engine) out perform many other supped up rigs. A stock jeep is an okay right out the box and is affordable under almost any budget. Now a hummer H1 cost at least $100K very few people can afford it.

BTW my brother had (sold it a couple months back due to divorce) the one of jeeps I've been talking about.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you noticed the thin sheet metal and the cheap plastic too.

just like it says on the warning sticker ....to protect you from the enviroment... nothing more nothing less. But I did like the fact that they are easy to remove nice to have out on the beach or during the spring.

Not enough reasons to make me buy a jeep. :ktoe:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From personal and professional (I manage a fleet) experiance i can tell that the Hummers (H1) are pieces of crap. Our 2003 wranglers tend to hold up better and spend less time in shops. I for one hate jeeps and hummers. I have seen many jeeps with bigger engines (chevy and ford engine) out perform many other supped up rigs. A stock jeep is an okay right out the box and is affordable under almost any budget. Now a hummer H1 cost at least $100K very few people can afford it.

BTW my brother had (sold it a couple months back due to divorce) the one of jeeps I've been talking about.

The JK Wrangler is where the quality went south as the cheap plastic and thinner metal, the TJ was the last good jeep.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like i said I before I was not impressed at all. I was hoping that this jk would be the model that would make me buy one. Your right I'll take any older CJ7 or TJ before this new model.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the hummer h1 is one of the strongest vehicle AM general ever made, i watched a review (thanks to get wired) the heavy metal video, he said it had a lot of cons as its not a daily driver with no sound insolation, not real good seats and a complete off road suspension. but his exact words " i tried to break it, but it broke me, THIS THING IS UNSTOPABLE OFF ROAD"

plus they have a diesel, i have driven one, one of my buddies dad has one, they actully drive better than you think and he said its been in the shop for oil changes, new tires, and once for a new radiator. but every vehicle is different, even the same model. :D

but yes EXPENSIVE, 100k is a new boat for me. plus my yukon off roads just fine, no need for a hummer, i would just get it for an ego thing if i had money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

as i say the only other vehicles i would take off road other than a hummer are, my yukon, my future tahoe, my old k5 blazer, and an old land rover, one of the only vehicles the british got right. but the new land rovers are terrible, my neighbor just bought his wife a 2008 range rover, i rode in it, ride it rough, preformance for a 400 hp v8 is amazingly BAD. the older landrovers are awsome though, 70% of them are still on the road today.

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the way that thing looks! There is no way I'd fit in it with the roof on though...

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...." i tried to break it, but it broke me, THIS THING IS UNSTOPABLE OFF ROAD" .....

Its different when you own that vehicle versus some guy driving it and pushing it to it limits., you are never going to push your dialy driver to it limits. I will never take my tahoe and push it the point that I'll break it. I have seen hummers stuck in mud and it took a 2003 chevy 2500 diesel to pull it out. If i had only driving one hummer in my life, one time, I would think the same as you. I have driven several (more than one) different hummers (military and cilvian) and they can be stopped. Don't get me wrong they are very capable off raod but by no means unstoppable.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its different when you own that vehicle versus some guy driving it and pushing it to it limits., you are never going to push your dialy driver to it limits. I will never take my tahoe and push it the point that I'll break it. I have seen hummers stuck in mud and it took a 2003 chevy 2500 diesel to pull it out. If i had only driving one hummer in my life, one time, I would think the same as you. I have driven several (more than one) different hummers (military and cilvian) and they can be stopped. Don't get me wrong they are very capable off raod but by no means unstoppable.

no car/truck/suv/ hummer is un stopable but i truly think the hummer can off road better than a jeep but for my needs i think my yukon is just fine. only got stuck once. :D

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all about comfort for me as I have been there done that in the off road thing, broken enough stuff. I have seen some good drivers that really know their vehicles. The H1 preforms well in the sand, but rock crawling is not where the H1 shines. I have watched Rubicon Wranglers totaly embarrass an H1.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is all about comfort for me as I have been there done that in the off road thing, broken enough stuff. I have seen some good drivers that really know their vehicles. The H1 preforms well in the sand, but rock crawling is not where the H1 shines. I have watched Rubicon Wranglers totaly embarrass an H1.

yea but rock crawling is VERY un settling, sand driving is calming as you are usually by the ocean . i would rather beach drive than rock crawl.

btw, got an off road vacation between the 4 and 8th of march, will definatly post pics of the kon at its best.