Best/Cost Effective Way to lift my Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to lift my 97 4door 4wd Tahoe a few inches. Maybe 3 tops.. What options do I have as far as lifting it? I know about lift kits, but what about some big springs and bad azz shocks? I want it level to. Hate the rear sag these badboys are known for. Please chime in:mad3:

usmc6213

Reaction score
The Tahoe uses a Torsion bar suspension. You don't have coil springs. As far as cost goes, it depends on how high you want to go. If you want to stay under $300, you can do it yourself and go about 2 inches. Your torsion bar has adjusters that mount to the frame about half way to the rear. They are meant to compensate for front end sag, but if you tighten them up enough, they will cause the front end to lift. In the rear you can get an Add-a-leaf and that will lift it. Don't forget to replace your shocks as well. If you want to go higher you will need to get a "real" lift kit and that will run you at least $800 and will be more difficult to install.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 Ford F150 keys, 2.5" rear blocks, longer rancho shocks, and an alignment should put you back about $400. Definitely do the ranchos up front because they are designed for that truck (slim body so it won't contact the uca).

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or, you can go the easy route. if your just looking for something cheap for a little more tire clearance, just get a body lift. i know there are some people who are actually against them, but performance accessories has a 3" body lift for like $150. then pick your shocks

usmc6213

Reaction score
Exactly what boostaholic said, except I didn't use the Ford keys, I used my stock Chevy keys.