Change to rear tailgate from side by side doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know or seen this done or if it is possible?

Possible meaning that the body and frame are the same, it would just be a matter of unbolting the doors and hinges, finding/buying the tailgate and glass assembly (with hinges) installing it, as well as the proper weatherstripping and wiring..

Found a good yukon, been driving it alot, and my annoyances are mainly there, with the pillar in the middle of my vision, as well as lack of wiper. I considered this as an option rather then selling and buying a similar model, especially since I have put countless hours into making this one sound mechanically, and installed air bags and other minor mods.

Thanks for any input anyone has on the subject.:cool2:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tailgate style will have the tailgate straps and the striker bolt on each side like a pickup truck. It'd also have the window support strut on each side and probably the door jamb switch that turns off the dome light when the door is closed. Also the hinges on the top and bottom.

I guess the question is whether or not your barn-style has the holes already there for the tailgate strap, striker and window support rods. Attached is a picture I found online so you can see what I'm talking about.

It seems like it could be done...maybe somebody here could take some better close-up pictures of their trucks and you could get a better idea.

Attachments

• 2 door.jpg
    2 door.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put plenty of time/effort into my race car, this is a daily driver/tow vehicle, I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel (or invent the first wheel as the case may be).
I'm curious if anyone has done this, seen it done, seen pictures/posts on the topic etc. East302 thank you for your post, picture and thought though!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've never seen it done, but if you'd like i can take some up close pictures of my tailgate and hatch mounting points so you can compair them to yours.