99 Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For about the last week, my 99 Tahoe has not been starting after a short drive. It seems to happen when the weather is about 32 degrees and there is moisture in the air. I will let it sit for a couple hours and then it will fire right up. There is about 147,000 miles on my 5.7 Ltr. after further research, it sounds like a fuel pressure regulator. Any advice?? Is this easy to change? I'm ok when it comes to basic repairs (oil changes, batteries, alternators). Thanks.

Last edited:

DCVING 6

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, but mine won't start at all. I changed the fuel filter out in the driveway on Wednesday evening (your from Chicago too, I don't have to tell you how cold it is) and that did not help. I now noticed that it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is kicking on to prime.

I'm going to pull the fuel pressure guage off of my race car and see what the FP is like.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove it up from Indy this morning, with no problems and put it in the garage. I will be having a diagnostic done on it this weekend. I will let you know what I find out. I had your problem before, and it was my fuel pump. I had a whining noise in it for about a year before it quit on me.

DCVING 6

Reaction score
Well with the cold I haven't worked on it much. I cannot push it into my heated garage because the driveway slants a bit.:mad:
Anyhow, I put the fuel pressure guage from my GN on the rail of the Tahoe and cranked it, 0psi.
Next time the snow melts, I will get underneath it and check the wiring, maybe re-do the ground connection.

BigDogg88

Reaction score
My '97 would not start this last weekend when I was leaving for school... first thing I looked at was the distributor cap and rotor. Sure enough it was all corroded inside. I'm pretty sure that the cap just wasn't seated right and got moisture in there... so that would be my advice to you guys if they aren't starting, its easy and a new one was relatively cheap ($55).

Andy

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy!! That is what I'm trying next to get it started. I will keep all informed.