removing bowties for paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

s2jay

Reaction score
front and rear, whats involved. does the whole grill need to be removed in front? is the rear just double side taped on? thanks....

tahoe788

Reaction score
the front bowtie comes off with a 10mm speed nut. One or two turns and the whole bowtie comes off. The rear is double sided tape. Heat the bowtie up and use fishing line and or a credit card to unstick the tape. The rear has two prongs that stick into the body of the truck, be careful not to saw or break them off.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To remove the REAR gold portion to paint, slide the credit card or fishing line in between outer gold portion and inner chromed portion. There is only tape in between those two layers (no pins). The chrome will stay attached to truck.

Front is as described above.

s2jay

Reaction score
i took the two speed nuts(plastic nuts ?) off the front and couldnt remove it. will it just pull off?

tahoe788

Reaction score
the front might have a small amount of tape on it as well. you might need to pull kind of hard. mine had tape in the center. you can heat it and use a credit card to slide behind it and pry it off

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the do it yourselfer.....When painting these items, as any other piece, one has to scuff surface lightly with a gray scotch pad so paint can bite into the surface and prevent peeling later on. I recommend Krylon paints if an aeresol is the way you're heading.

sk4ravens

Reaction score
Is there any body that sells the bowties already painted in other colors. I was looking into changing the color of my bowtie after I get the chrome rear door molding. However all I could find were different types of bowtie decals

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay is your best bet - very rarely though. You can alway try your dealer. I went to my body shop and had them do mine for $50 and they also removed my chrome ones and installed the painted ones back.

Good luck.

todd0774

Reaction score
Would anyone know what aeresol paint would be closest to the 2007 Chevy Silver Birtch?

Plex

Reaction score
Does any one have an estimate on how much a paint and body shop will charge for painting you bowties, and also taking the badges off the truck?