gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoyage

Reaction score
have had my 99 for about 7 weeks now and the gas mileage is pathetic 10-12 mpg in town, it only has 46000 miles,runs like new but after having a 1983 k5 blazer for 10 years with a 350 and 33 inch tires i expexted some improvement from the 83 to this one, is everyone else out there getting this kind of mpg? anyone ever try one of those tornados that go in the air intake tube after the air cleaner?

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 to 12 MPG is about what I am getting.
My cousin had a Tornado given to him by his dad, and he told me there is no improvement whatsoever.
I have a cold air intake coming on the 27th.
I will post the results.

chevyfreak

Reaction score
I get 11-12 in the city, 15-16 hwy. I have 32" BFG AT's, headers, dual exhaust, and K&N air filter. The tornado is junk. Dont even waste your money or time.

DCVING 6

Reaction score
Lately, I've only driven mine to work and back which is 40miles highway and 10 miles rural roads (55mph). If I set the cruise at 65 and baby it off the line at lights/stopsigns, I can get 17. Driving 75mph because I'm always late, averages about 14. :D

I am curious to test it after I do a tune up. It has 95k on it and still has the original plugs, wires, etc.

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have received my cold air intake, and the improvement in MPG has increased substantially. Instead of 10 to 12 MPG, I now get 16 to 17 mpg. This is an average of highway and city driving before, and after.
Needless to say I am pleased. As a matter of fact this is
the best 45 dollars I have paid for an item that was installed on my Yukon.

firemanjim

Reaction score
where did you get a cold air intake for $45?cmon man pics and more info:)

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally NO WAY you can get that sorta gas millage gain from an intake system..

And the best part !!

"Very cool air sucking sound"

If he was talking about a chick getting busy it would not be as funny ... LMAO

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diehrd said:
Totally NO WAY you can get that sorta gas millage gain from an intake system..

And the best part !!

"Very cool air sucking sound"

If he was talking about a chick getting busy it would not be as funny ... LMAO

It is possible, if the air filter it replaced is as cloged as mine was.

His descriptive skills do leave something to be desired.

firemanjim

Reaction score
I have never heard of a cold air intake giving that much of an increase in fuel mileage,prob an isolated incidence,don't expect the same results by any means,but nice to hear if you indeed are getting that kind of mileage on a regular basis

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what , his filter would have to had been packed with mud to erase that much MPG and then he would have started to throw codes from a rich mixture .. His O2 would have sensed it , or even mis fires would have happened

He is saying between 4 and 6 mpg increase .More likely his method to determine gas millage is off some what ..

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diehrd said:
No matter what , his filter would have to had been packed with mud to erase that much MPG and then he would have started to throw codes from a rich mixture .. His O2 would have sensed it , or even mis fires would have happened

He is saying between 4 and 6 mpg increase .More likely his method to determine gas millage is off some what ..

My method of determining fuel mileage is dividing the amount of fuel by the number of mile driven on the tank.

Maybe they do it differently else where.

bhwakeboarder

Reaction score
MightyMouse - I'm curious where the Mass Airflow Sensor goes when you install that intake. I was considering getting this intake and putting the air filter inside the stock airbox like it is on my 99 2 door. That way its not sucking straight up engine air, its still being fed cool air from the fender.

gratman321

Reaction score
I just bought an air-raid intake and a helix throttle body spacer... After using both products on an '01 Yukon XL and noticing significant gains, I figure I can't go wrong for 220 bucks shipped. Unlike the above, I didn't buy an ebay-intake, so I'll see what kind of results I get when I put them on (hopefully tonight.) Though I might wait until I've run a full tank of gas through the truck so that I can get a before/after... I just bought the truck last week, and just got a tag for it today, so this is the first day I'm driving it. Oh, it's a '98 4-door 4x4 btw. 350 engine, obviously.

Moularia

Reaction score
14-16

i get 14-16... i have 115k miles on it, everytime i lend my car to my younger bro, he is more in the 10-12 range... i have exhaust and intake, i also have a mas air flow sensor which i think that made the gas pedal a bit more crispier.... itmight just be, all in the head, but it feels it. difference in mileage from stock to that is not that great.. it just requires less throttle input on highway speeds when there is a slight change in incline... what i have noticed is that i do get better gas mileage, when i use 92 octane as opposed to 85, and that is for about the same reason.

99'tahoe

Reaction score
I bought a 99' 2DR LT Tahoe with 56kmi on it this past Jan. I drive it on and off to work along with my other vehicle (95' 2DR Cherokee) until I sell it. I started off getting 10-12mpg which is horrible(Hence why I knicknamed it "Da-Big-Fat-Hoe"). I get about 20-24 with the Jeep(Gutting the Cat, 44psi in the tires goes a long ways.) I use to only get 18-20 in the Jeep. So, I figured because it is cold, that it was getting bad mileage. Well, in the past month it started warming up and it didn't change the mileage at all. I drive about 50 miles a day and it's mostly all highway. I baby the gas from a dead stop and just take it easy(Trying to get mileage.) Here is the other thing. Mine always runs cool. I don't know if it's the temp gauge being off. Because I know my gas gauge is off a little at times. But my temp was always around 175-185. It supposed to be a 195 thermostat in it. So about a month ago, I put in the exact same $45 Cold Air Intake on it and I changed spark plugs, not wires(supposed to be good to 100kmi.), put in a thermostat to get the temp up a little warmer so it doesn't think it's so cold and have the ECU add more fuel, and I put some "Stop-Leak" in the radiator to get rid of a little coolant leak it had. Well, thermostat I got from Advanced Auto is supposed to be 195 degree, but now I'm only running at 165-170 which has really got me mad. I don't know what's up there. But at least the coolant stopped leaking. I don't know what did the mileage, (Spark plugs, Cold-Air, or both) But now I'm pulling 16-17mpg driving the same way as before. Next I'm going to pump the tires up to 42psi or so, I think I'm at 36 now. I also want to put dual exhaust on to uncork the exhaust some in hopes for getting a little better mileage. And I want a nice deep throaty sound without being to loud and drowning myself out inside.(Think deep motorboat sound, without any blat, blat, bark, bark, roudy sound) If anyone has any suggestions on mufflers, I'd like to hear about it. I have a 2DR so that means I can't buy a kit for it. I have to have an exhaust shop bend up some pipe and do it for me.

The next thing is to figure out why why my cruise control only works every once in a while. And I don't know how to explain it, but when you let off the gas, it takes about 3-4 seconds and then it feels like the throttle blades close all the way and starts to slow you down on the highway. Unlike my dad's 06 GMC 1500 and my mom's 02' Buick which roll forever without ever slowing down. Well that slowing sensation doesn't always happen now, and I'll end up having to tap the brakes to slow up when coming up on a car on the highway. Other times it'll work. I'm thinking since the cruise control box is the only other cable that hooks to the throttle blades. So something is wrong with that as well.

I'm sorry for being long winded. If anybody has any info, it would be much appreciated.