DD Nav in my 01.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the install of a double din Pioneer Avic-D3 in my 01. I took some pics of the brackets I fabb'ed and the the bezel I trimmed. Fit almost perfect for the 1st test run. Only thing I don't like is the way the trim bezel starts to curve downwards on the right side, making the top of the unit look uneven. Tomorrow I'll finish off the trim and wire everything up and post a couple more pics.

I took the clip brackets from my old kit. They needed to be spaced apart 1/2" on both sides of the unit in order to clip back into the dash properly, so I used 1/2" scrap of MDF. I used my digital calipers to take measurements of where to drill the mounting holes and where to place the brackets so it would go into the dash right the first time.
DSC06145.jpg

The MDF spacers/mount:
DSC06146.jpg

The clips mounted to the spacers:
DSC06147.jpg

I removed the entire radio/hvac housing from the dash to make fitting and trimming easier.
DSC06148.jpg

DSC06149.jpg

The trim bezel needs to be trimmed in pre-03 models to fit a dd unit. I used my Dremel, asst of files, and finally different grits of paper to trim and round-over the edges of the new opening.
DSC06151.jpg

DSC06153.jpg

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey looking good dude. i love the way the system looks. especially with your screen down below. looks cool. :yesnod:

if i didnt have factory nav, i would have thought that was factory and when you told me it was not i would have had one installed.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice job ! can i buy a set of those brackets from you and whatever else is needed to modify my 2001 dash. i want the same pioneer unit that you have but i have been hesitant because of the difficulty in mounting.

Brandon00hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome, I've been waiting to see this. What did you use to cover the sides?

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you like the pioneer. I'm torn between the pioneer nav and a kenwood nav system.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
nice job ! can i buy a set of those brackets from you and whatever else is needed to modify my 2001 dash. i want the same pioneer unit that you have but i have been hesitant because of the difficulty in mounting.
Thnx. I would make another set and send them to you, but I'd have to remove the unit again and start from scratch. I didn't have my original radio available or else I would have used the casing from that. You should be able to remove yours and screw or rivet them onto your new unit and slide it right in. The next time I install a D3 I'll take more measurements and make a couple brackets and let you know.

how do you like the pioneer. I'm torn between the pioneer nav and a kenwood nav system.
I haven't used the Kenwood much; I don't install nearly as many Kenwoods as I do the Pioneer units. The Kenwood nav just isn't as popular here as the Pioneer units. But I've always been biased towards Pioneer, especially their avic units. I love everything about the unit from the bluetooth to the nav to the Ipod control.

Awsome, I've been waiting to see this. What did you use to cover the sides?
I trimmed a sheet of 1/8" abs plastic to fit around the face of the unit.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until march to buy that 8120! My infinity coaxs are better than I expected and I don't mind waiting until march for good components, just need to order my alpine pdx 1000 and get some bang in the back until then.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'ma wait till i read a review of it first tho, the previous model,i read the navigation was great (made by garmin) but everything else was ok in the reviewers eyes. the Kenwood DNX7100. Depends on what I read, might get the 7100 or the 8120.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The newer 8120 seems like a really nice unit with some cool features.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That looks great - I should have looked at this before I sent you the question. I think that answers my question of what I want to put in my Yukon. I wish you were in the Northern Virginia area! Great job, JK.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thnx guys. Weather was pretty crappy yesterday and my garage has a stripped down car already in it, so I didn't really get a chance to finish the install. Looks like I may get a chance today, so I'll post some pics of the finished product tonight hopefully.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well, I got everything in and it looks great. I decided to keep the existing dvd player in the center console. The headrest and front center console monitor all have dual a/v inputs, so now the kids can watch different movies at the same time. My wife can watch a movie on the front console monitor, I can continue on with the nav, and everyone's happy:yesnod:
I'll post some pics later tonight.