antifreeze leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qwk93ta

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 Tahoe and the previous owner capped off a spout coming off the radiator just below the radiator cap and overflow tube. It is capped with a rubber piece and a metal clamp. Does anyone know what with spout is for? The rubber end capping it off does not look like it is factory. Thanks for the help!

Mark

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
The radiator may have been replaced. Chances are with a universal unit that may fit more than one model. That extra spout is usually for a heater hose connection, which isn't used on your truck.

qwk93ta

Reaction score
What is the best type of cap to use? I have a rubber one with a metal clamp. It just does not seem to be the best idea to me.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Inspection is the Key

The tank is plastic so your options are limited. Most cooling systems work @ less than 15 psi, so a rubber cap installed correctly should be ok. Whenever you change oil or raise the hood eyeball this cap as you would the rest of your cooling system. Check clamps and hoses for softness,leaks, bulges, and heat cracks. If you are really bothered by this spout and cap, replace the radiator with a oem ac delco unit. I have four Chevy trucks, and for the important parts I use ac delco. You may pay a little more, but you'll get what you pay for. Worry Free!