Can I Install mirrors with turn signal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some factory side mirrors that have the turn signal in the mirror. Before I try to buy them, Do I need anything special to replace my current side mirrors with these. Will they plug right in? If they have the turn signals in them does that mean they are the Denali mirrors and also have the power folding feature?

Thanks

konasmrz

Reaction score
The following is a post I authored on another forum about how to convert non power folding mirrors (code DL8) to power folding mirrors (code DL3) in a 2007 Tahoe. These are the steps I undertook for converting a LT1 Tahoe to DL3 (power folding mirrors):

1. Purchase the following parts: LH DL3 mirror (# 15882682), RH DL3 mirror (# 15882683), Drivers Door Module (DDM) module (# 15093440). These mirrors come with black unpainted trim, but it is a simple matter to pop them off and swap with your painted originals.
2. Once you have the parts go ahead and install the mirrors and DDM. Instructions:
- Roll down the windows
- Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Removing the rectangular door lock button (gently pry up the small tab and the button will lift off)
- Remove the triangle trim (pop the clips from the top first and swing down to lift off the bottom tab)
- Remove the DDM & PDM switch modules (gently pry up one end at a time - 2 clips hold the module in place)
- Remove the trim covers to expose the 10mm bolts behind the door release handle (1 bolt) and door pull handle (2 bolts)
- Remove the door trim panel by pulling around the perimeter to pop loose the retaining clips
- Remove the 3 nylon push in wire harness retainers (I used a nail puller wrapped in masking tape to keep from scratching the door frame)
- Remove the 3 10mm nuts holding the mirror (it won't fall because there is a pop clip on the top of the mirror housing holding it on)
3. At this point you simply reverse the process
3.5 - You will need to trim the bezel for the new DDM where the additional switch for mirror fold/open is located
4. Once the new mirrors are installed the new DDM will only work in local mode (i.e., it won't put anything out on the data bus so the only thing that it will do is operate the local drivers door window) This means that it will not operate any mirror functions, the other 3 windows will not operate, the drivers power door lock will not function, and the system won't recognize the drivers door opening/closing (so when you exit the vehicle your radio will remain on for ~ 10 minutes until it times out) This is normal.
5. At this point you need to have the DDM and the PDM (Passenger Door Switch Module) flashed via Tech 2 through the Service Provisioning System (SPS). This is the uplink from the dealer's Tech 2 interface unit that is attached to your vehicles OBD port that communicates with the GM database to pull the code for the downlink to your specific vehicle module.
6. Once flashed, everything should operate normally.
7. Also, if you want to use the park tilt function then you need to flash the Driver Information Console module as well. This will only be possible if your vehicle has the memory seats (8 way power option) as the mirror memory settings are stored in that memory module.

Last edited:

konasmrz

Reaction score
XM DUDE said:
I wonder what the cost would be.

If you do it yourself parts are around $500 from GMpartsdirect and labor to flash the modules should be no more than 1 hour (~$80) - actual programming time is less than 15 minutes if you have a GM tech that knows what he's doing - but most of them will use you as a training exercise.

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Excellent information! One question though... In order for the dealership to flash program the necessary switches, does he have to actually connect to those switches or does he just plug into a master data port? I ask because if the switches themselves have to be accessed, I may leave the door panels off until the programming is done. If they do NOT need to access the switches, I will button everything back up prior to visiting the dealership. Thanks!

AggiePhil

Reaction score
Still wondering if the dealership will have to actually connect to the switches to reprogram them or if they can just plug into the master data port.