Hey guys Low idle problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viseversa

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and at first everytime well not everytime but say if i would make a u-turn my car will shut off due to it having a low idle. If im at a light my idle is really low not low enough for it to shut off but close to it. Thanks any help will be great

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low idles can be caused by a whole mess of things, more info would be good. Check engine light on? Do you do regular maintenance on your truck? When you say "low idle", exactly how low is it, rpm wise?

I'd check the simple stuff first...PCV valve, spark plugs/wires, air filter, etc. If that doesnt solve the problem, move on to the more complex stuff like the EGR system or manifold vacuum leaks (you'll probably need a mechanic at that point unless you know what you're doing).

viseversa

Reaction score
check engine light not on.....rpm at about 500 to 700 never hits 1000rpm when in idle. Change air filters, regular oil changes. Spark plugs not sure about.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yuke idles around 500-600 when it's warmed up, no issues there. Sounds like you might have an ignition issue. I'd check your plugs and wires just to rule them out...do you know when they were last changed? If the plug wires are cracked or dry rotted, replace them. Check the plugs too...if they look really worn, just put new ones in. It's not the cheapest thing, but it's not all that expensive either if it solves your problem lol. Besides, you'll probably pick up a MPG or two if they look really bad and you replace them. I think you can get a set of wires for around $60, and plugs are like $2-$3 a piece depending on what you get and where you go.

mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and at first everytime well not everytime but say if i would make a u-turn my car will shut off due to it having a low idle. If im at a light my idle is really low not low enough for it to shut off but close to it. Thanks any help will be great

i had the same problem. what i did to fix it was i cleaned out the TB,MAF and the battery terminals. till today i havent had that problem