Nwebie here, Need Help with Tow Package ID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

New member here...but I've had my '96 Tahoe 4 door LT for about 8 years now...88,000 on the clock and it's in perfect condition! I love this truck! Done a few mods (lift, wheels & tires - two sets, summer BFG All Terrains and Dunlop Mud Terrains for winter, ARB for the rear, K&N, Flows, full front guard, safari roof rack etc), and last summer we bought a very large pop up trailer (3800 lbs loaded). I had been towing a much smaller one for a few years with no problems. Truck has a 4 pin harness and Class 3 Hitch. I'm getting a 7 pin installed since the pup has electric brakes.

Question...how do I identify by VIN if it has a factory tow package on it? If it can't be ID'd by the VIN, what little "extras" on the truck should I look for to tell? Also, are there any options for a bigger altenator?

Any opinions on additional mods I should do, since the entitre rig loaded for camping weighs in at around 12,000 lbs?

Thanks,

SPX

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too had a brake controller, and pigtail installed in my Yukon so I could use trailer brakes. The guys where I bought my trailer from installed it... with my help.
I did not want the controller hanging on the bottom of my dash. One quick glance at my aftermarket head unit (CD player), and it dawned on me that the controller would fit nicely where the stock CD unit was. I had it installed and the wires ran for the guys to hook up in no time.
They made a comment that in 10 years of installing them they had never had anyone do that.

salty_dog

Reaction score
If your posted weight of 12,000lbs is just for the trailer your too heavy for a tahoe. It's rating is 7,000. If you get in an accident don't look for any help from your insurance.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salty Dog, the 12000 number comes from the Tahoe, fully loaded and the trailer, fully loaded.