Backup takes forever to come on after start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason427

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed that they are already backed out of the driveway before the backup camera comes on?

When the car is running its no big deal, but when you need it most is when you start it up and are trying to get out in a hurry.

Any fixes from dealer on this?

Just venting...

Jason

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also noticed that the mirror takes a few seconds before it tilts down for backing up also...should be instantaneous.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's more than a few seconds on mine. It makes the backup camera almost useless. I find that I don't use it much at all both due to the lag time to show the image and also because it is so far down on the dash it's hard to see.

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to do with the camera needing time to boot up. I don't think it's going to change in the near future.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Infiniti FX had a backup camera that came on instantly when you put the car in reverse. Maybe GM should consult with them about how to get the lag time out.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having the same problem with my 07 denali. Today it didnt come on the 1st time so i put it in park then back in reverse. it came on but took about 15-20sec. Its never been as slow as today.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 07 Denali takes a few secs. to. I tried dimming mine at night so it would not be so bright, it works when I dim at right then and there but when I put in reverse later on it goes back to being bright. Is there a way to keep it dimmed?
Thanks

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about a 2 second lag in my 2008. But man that thing does wonders for parallel parking.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just this morning I noticed that once you switch the trans in drive mode after reversing, the camera on my truck doesn't shut off until you reach about 7-10 mph.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just this morning I noticed that once you switch the trans in drive mode after reversing, the camera on my truck doesn't shut off until you reach about 7-10 mph.

same here. When I went in to get my door handle fixed I asked about the lag. I was told that the nav radio goes through like 20 or so tests at startup. Might take a few seconds.

My lag time varies from time to time. usually the cam comes on pretty fast. other times I have complete my backing and started moving fwd before it comes on.

I'm hoping for a software upgrade when I go in for my next service.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. It's explained in the owner's manual. It will switch off after you reach a certain speed or when 10-15 seconds passes--which ever comes first. I think it's really handy to check that there's no cars coming when you're pulling away from the curb.

I have lag when I shift into reverse, too, but it's mostly when I first start up. If I've been driving around and need to get into a spot, the camera comes on pretty quick. That's why I think it's just the boot time required for the nav system/reverse camera when it starts up.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also on the same topic...

Does you camera view seem inaccurate with how close you are to objects? Things look like they're 4-6 ft away, but you are a lot closer. I've learned to listen for the backing senser(beep) whenever I choose to look at the screen when backing.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to judge the exact distance if you are far away. But I just look at the edge of the bumper in the screen to know how close I am. Sometimes I'm in a pretty tight spot and I have to back up within inches, and the camera shows that really well. I just have to be careful with the corners because that doesn't show up on the screen. That's when I rely on the sensors and the tilt-down mirrors.