2001 Yukon cassette adapter halts after playing for a second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mlepage

Reaction score
I just got a 2001 Yukon a few days ago. So I'm a total newbie. So far so good.

I moved my cassette adapter from my old car into the Yukon. I like to listen to audio books from my mp3 player. This is when I experienced my first problem.

It plays for about a second on one "side", then flips and plays for about a second from another "side", then it ejects. I haven't been able to actually get it to keep playing, so I can listen to my audio books.

If I insert a real cassette, it plays and keeps playing. Is there anything special I must do to get my cassette adapter working? I believe the head is clean, and the wheels appear to spin freely.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally those cassette adapters do not work with auto-reversing cassette decks. I have the same issue with my Infiniti G35 Coup and the 02 Tahoe. Didn't work in my older 96 Ford Exploder either.

mlepage

Reaction score
Actually I found out the issue. When I finally ordered a manual for the vehicle, it said there is a way to disable the "end of tape" detection in the cassette deck, which is what you need to do for cassette adapters like this. Otherwise, it thinks it's at end of tape and ejects it. The manual explains how to turn this off.

But I found just putting the cassette in firmly seemed to do the trick for me. When that stops working, I'll do the proper disable.

I'm hoping this summer to put in a proper iPod adapter anyways.

mlepage

Reaction score
3-19 discusses how to bypass the "cut tape detection" feature so cassette adapters work. Basically, turn on the radio, insert the adapter, and within 5 seconds, hold both the REV and FWD buttons for 3 seconds. The tape indicator will flash to indicate the bypass, which will remain active until you hit EJECT.