99 Driveline vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich72w

Reaction score
My 99 tahoe has a driveline vibration most noticeable on the hi-way @ 70+ mph. . . It sounds like a wheel bearing type noise but is not, and sounds like it is coming from the trans or x-fer case. This has been getting worse over the last couple of months. anyone have any similar experience???

MarioAngeloBurke

Reaction score
It is kinda hard to say without hearing or seeing the problem first hand but I believe if it were a driveline problem you would feel the vibration at all speeds? A tire or radial seperation often times sounds like a wheel bearing and feels like an unbalanced tire. Especially at highway speed.

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your u-joints checked. Had the same noise, ignored it, and the u-joint ended up breaking and cracking my transmission case thus ruining it. Cheap fix if you catch it in time. <$100

Bobc

Reaction score
My 99 tahoe has a driveline vibration most noticeable on the hi-way @ 70+ mph. . . It sounds like a wheel bearing type noise but is not, and sounds like it is coming from the trans or x-fer case. This has been getting worse over the last couple of months. anyone have any similar experience???
Did you ever make any progress on this? I have a 99 also with 125K, new tires, new U joints (both shafts) etc. very pronounced 60-70 MPH. has been getting worse. New U joints on front shaft did help somwhat, but still a growing problem.

MarioAngeloBurke

Reaction score
Did you ever make any progress on this? I have a 99 also with 125K, new tires, new U joints (both shafts) etc. very pronounced 60-70 MPH. has been getting worse. New U joints on front shaft did help somwhat, but still a growing problem.

A growling noise? have you checked for tire cupping? out of round spots in the tread do to worn out suspension. Out of balance and cupped tires make the most noise and vibration at highway speed 60-70mph and will be quiet anywhere above or below that.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my s10 did this after i lowered it. took the rear differential cover off and the hoghead was all ate up b/c the pinion bearings were shot and the pinion was riding on the hoghead (it actually put 1/2" deep gear marks into the steel!). replaced the bearings ($300 with labor/parts) and it was good as new.

it is most likely a bad pinion bearing causing the vibration. also, your driveshaft could be out of alignment so have that checked also. they make shims you can bolt in to correct the driveshaft angle if it is incorrect. the shims look like mini lowering blocks and anyone with a jack and a wrench can install them. i had to get 4 degree angled shims to fix my s10 but it was lowered about 10". (yes it laid body)

that is of course if your u-joints aren't bad. you can check them by grabbing your drive shaft and trying to move it around. try to turn it. if it turns it's prolly in the rear end. if it doesn't try moving it up down left and right. if it moves it's prolly the u-joints. forward to back movement could indicate many things, from the rear end to the u-joints to the slip yoke.

slight play in the driveshaft is totally normal. if it moves more than a 1/2" during any of the above tests then you prolly got some issues that need attention

Last edited:

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most times you cant tell if a u-joint is bad just by trying to get movement, or play out of it. The best way to check is to take the 2 caps off of the rear joint and wipe the grease off of the joint itself. Then inspect for grooves worn into the joint. If there are any signs of wear at all replace all the joints on that shaft. Also, I have never seen a non greasable u-joint that was good if it had grease and dirt collecting around the seals. I just had the same problem on my 99 hoe, I replaced all the joints front and rear(the truck has 190k) because they were orignal.