You guys like exotics, right??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a question for you...

I am looking at toys that I may be able to purchase in the next 18-24 mos. Yeah it's a little ways off, but you can never be too prepared. Anyway, I think I've narrowed my list down to 2 in particular, a 993(?) aircooled 911(the last incarnation of aircooled cars) or a Ferrari 348 GTS/348 Spider (i forget the designation). Both are in the range I expect to budget but I am unsure which would be the better buy. Any opinions or suggestions?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I prefer the looks of the 348 GTS over the 993 personally. The 348 has a few more ponies than the n/a 993. And if I am not mistaken, the 993 has a 6 spd manual trans versus a 5 spd in the 348. I don't know the power-to-weight ratio on the two cars, and by no means am I an expert on exotics, but I personally would choose the Ferrari if the price difference was marginal.
I would do some research on performance and handling characteristics, avg longevity/quality of drivetrain components, and actual real world tests and reviews, maybe from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z06 or Blue Devil all the way baby!!!

Yea, I am biased... I know... :lol:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought about a Corvette and when I was looking @ 20-30k cars it was a serious competitor along with the 03-04 Cobra and the GTO. As far as the bang for buck, it is still probably one of the best options out there. My only real issue with one is that they are too darn common. I could probably get the new camaro too, but I just don't want a car that everyone and their neighbor will have 6 mos later. After doing a little more research, the 348 is a decent car, w/ versions making 300-340bhp from a 3.4L V8 and it handles relatively well too. The only drawback is the major service which runs anywhere from 6500-10k and will probably be due if I decide to get one. Don't get me wrong, a C5 Z06 and any C6 car will probably lap circles around it, but I'm just buying it for a nice cruiser to enjoy on sunny days. I have given the Porsche some thought as well. It would def be less expensive to maintain, but then the fact that so many are around does turn me off a little. Also, I do love the looks of the 348 and I could trade up in a couple years as well. That would be really nice. Anyway, I'm still pretty unsure so keep those opinions coming guys and gals!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Your point about having something less common would lean me towards the 348 then.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for an all around vehicle i'd prob take the 993. but there is just something attractive about having a ferrari :)

It would be a tough choice for me. The 348 would certainly be cool, but i'd probably go for a 993.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a question for you...

I am looking at toys that I may be able to purchase in the next 18-24 mos. Yeah it's a little ways off, but you can never be too prepared. Anyway, I think I've narrowed my list down to 2 in particular, a 993(?) aircooled 911(the last incarnation of aircooled cars) or a Ferrari 348 GTS/348 Spider (i forget the designation). Both are in the range I expect to budget but I am unsure which would be the better buy. Any opinions or suggestions?

So you're looking into a Ferrari or Porsche? Hmmm You have good taste on these beauties. Why not go for the Enzo :D

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're looking into a Ferrari or Porsche? Hmmm You have good taste on these beauties. Why not go for the Enzo :D

Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep, lol. However, I have always had a thing for European exotics.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep, lol. However, I have always had a thing for European exotics.

European cars are sexy, I have a benz as well and they are great vehicles. I was just kidding about the Enzo :D so I went to far on that part. So what's your limit and are you looking for a pre-owned or new?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be pre-owned and I'm figuring approx $55k

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok gotcha, yeah the Ferrari Spyder 348 and maybe 355 would do it, depends on mileage and price. :thumbsup: There's always room for negotiating....

In the little reading I have done I've found a couple things that make me lean toward the 348 over the F355.

348 pros:
manual steering rack offering excellent feedback, std clutch driven 5spd, more aggressive looks than the F355

F355 cons:
hydraulic, F1 paddle shifted 6spd that is finnicky and expensive to repair/replace (10k+), power steering rack which is little more numb than the manual rack it replaces, whored out look and victim of successfull marketing (everyone knows the F355 and everyone has or had one)

Also, the mileage does vary in the ones I've seen, anywhere from 20-45k

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the little reading I have done I've found a couple things that make me lean toward the 348 over the F355.

348 pros:
manual steering rack offering excellent feedback, std clutch driven 5spd, more aggressive looks than the F355

F355 cons:
hydraulic, F1 paddle shifted 6spd that is finnicky and expensive to repair/replace (10k+), power steering rack which is little more numb than the manual rack it replaces, whored out look and victim of successfull marketing (everyone knows the F355 and everyone has or had one)

Also, the mileage does vary in the ones I've seen, anywhere from 20-45k

I see you did a little bit of research. I hope you find the car that suits you, enjoy and good luck...:thumbsup:.

akim47

Reaction score
im a big p-car fan...

if you want a true driving experience, i think porsche is like no other...
993 great, but overpriced b/c of demand for lotac (last of the air coold), they are actually more exp than 996's.
for $55K, you can get into a CPO 997. If you have never driven a 997, go drive it. most fun i've had in a car in a LONG while... AND with the economy going into the sh##ter, its possible to pick up a 997S in the 50s.
ferrari's are great, but my love w/ always be w/ the p-cars....