Home Link System?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me out with the Universal Home Link system in the Tahoe? I have the design that has the three LEDs under the three buttons. I've read the manual so many times that I have memorized it...still can't get it to work? Our garage doors are the rolling code design, about two years old now. They have the "Learn" button, and the green light comes on for 30 seconds after it is pushed.

I still can't get it to work, no matter what I try. Is there some trick? I've tried with Ignition on, off, doors closed, doors open...even tried the "Erase" function so I could start fresh...also pulled the fuse and replaced...

After I push the two outside buttons for 2 seconds, I release and the three LEDS light up...I then go and push the Learn button on the garage door opener motor, which lights up. I rush back to the truck, pushing the button I want to use...the manual says that the garage door should start to move, and you should release the button, which should then flash quickly to signal it is complete...pushing the button again should get the garage door moving. But I hold the button forever, and nothing happens at all with the garage door? Then, all three buttons start blinking rapidly and they then go off...like I said, I've tried it every which way to Sunday, still no workie?? :confused:

Thanks for any hints...not sure how I have the dealer check this?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Programming the keypad is a bit like a Keystone Kops routine. After pushing the learn button on the opener, and running back to the Tahoe, did you push and hold the button until the door responded? When my wife saw me doing this routine, she said I looked like a mental patient. I got it working on the first try though.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, believe me, I look like an idiot! I've done this routine about 20 times now, the neighbors must think I have some new crazy workout routine! :rolleyes:

Yes, I hold the button down (which slowly blinks as I do so)...but the garage door never moves an inch...I even had my father come over and push the Learn button while I was in the truck, pushing the buttons...still nothing. He then showed me how his new Lexus works, and it is the same way that the Tahoes with the SINGLE triangular LED works - you just hold the garage door remote button down and the vehicle's Homelink button down at the same time, and it works...in fact, he did his Lexus right there in front of me using that procedure. ??? The only two things I can think are happening - 1)The signal from the garage door opener is somehow not reaching my Tahoe or 2) The Homelink system is defective?

So, I've got the remotes on my visors for the time being... :mad:

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a basic primer on Homelink which may help. If you had access to a scanner, or other radio receiver which could tune to the correct frequencies, you could easily tell if your Homelink was transmitting from the Tahoe. How about going over to your father's or another friends house and attempting to get their door working? It may save you a trip to the dealer.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to go over to my brother's house and try his out...thanks for the suggestions.

hmoobsupra

Reaction score
I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman opener and I got it working the first time:

1. Make sure key is in the ACCESSORY position.
2. Pressed two outside for about two seconds.
3. Pressed the learn button on the Craftsman.
4. Pressed and hold the first button.

The garage starts moving in about 5 or so seconds. I did this with the SUV right beneath the opener. Like the above mentioned..try it with a different garage opener...closer to the opener. Good luck.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kpanza said:
I was hoping someone could help me out with the Universal Home Link system in the Tahoe? I have the design that has the three LEDs under the three buttons. I've read the manual so many times that I have memorized it...still can't get it to work? Our garage doors are the rolling code design, about two years old now. They have the "Learn" button, and the green light comes on for 30 seconds after it is pushed.

I still can't get it to work, no matter what I try. Is there some trick? I've tried with Ignition on, off, doors closed, doors open...even tried the "Erase" function so I could start fresh...also pulled the fuse and replaced...

After I push the two outside buttons for 2 seconds, I release and the three LEDS light up...I then go and push the Learn button on the garage door opener motor, which lights up. I rush back to the truck, pushing the button I want to use...the manual says that the garage door should start to move, and you should release the button, which should then flash quickly to signal it is complete...pushing the button again should get the garage door moving. But I hold the button forever, and nothing happens at all with the garage door? Then, all three buttons start blinking rapidly and they then go off...like I said, I've tried it every which way to Sunday, still no workie?? :confused:

Thanks for any hints...not sure how I have the dealer check this?

I'm going out on a limb here but you didn't post that you did it so I'm going to write it up anyway.....when you push the outside buttons for 2 seconds until all lights light up you say you go right to the learn button on the garage door opener...you're supposed to push the button that you want to program first. Hold the outside buttons until everything lights up....push the button that you want to program once, then go to hit the learn button, then back into the truck to hit the same button again to program it. Note: you might have to push the button once > wait > and if nothing happens just release the button and depress it again. On one of my garage door openers I had to push it, release, then push it again. Then the door started moving. Just make sure you are pushing the button you want to program after you push for 2 seconds, but before you hit the Learn button. Good luck. Let us know.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiTownTimmay said:
I'm going out on a limb here but you didn't post that you did it so I'm going to write it up anyway.....when you push the outside buttons for 2 seconds until all lights light up you say you go right to the learn button on the garage door opener...you're supposed to push the button that you want to program first. Hold the outside buttons until everything lights up....push the button that you want to program once, then go to hit the learn button, then back into the truck to hit the same button again to program it. Note: you might have to push the button once > wait > and if nothing happens just release the button and depress it again. On one of my garage door openers I had to push it, release, then push it again. Then the door started moving. Just make sure you are pushing the button you want to program after you push for 2 seconds, but before you hit the Learn button. Good luck. Let us know.

Really? Unless I am a total idiot (who knows?), that is NOT in the manual's instructions. And in the 50+ times I have tried this, I don't believe I tried this specific combination...man, I hope you're right! I'll try this tonight...thanks in advance for the help! :)

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the luggage racks, my Tahoe will not fit in my garage, just as I thought (it's too full of junk anyways, but I thought I'd try to squeeze it in there to try this)...so I parked as close to the door as possible (without it coming down and hitting the truck!)...still nothing...but I'll try this new suggestion tonight. Also gonna call HomeLink and see what they have to say...

safety86

Reaction score
Thanks!

This is my first post on here. I'm a life long Ford person and just bought a 2007 Yukon. I had tried programming my Homelink buttons to work my garage door but never could get it going (using brochure given to me). Thanks to the Homelink website and the information posted here, I got it working. YAY.:)

Thanks for your help. I hope the other guy gets his working. By the way, my opener is a Genie with Intellicode.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kpanza said:
Really? Unless I am a total idiot (who knows?), that is NOT in the manual's instructions. And in the 50+ times I have tried this, I don't believe I tried this specific combination...man, I hope you're right! I'll try this tonight...thanks in advance for the help! :)

I was posting at work and didn't have the manual in front of me but i'm 99% sure that's what I had to do.....I'm trying to rack my brain now to remember but i'm almost positive that I had to specify what button I wanted to program before I hit the learn button. Hope I didn't get your hopes up...

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it still won't work...tried it your way, but still nothing? Doesn't mention that part in the manual...I am calling Homelink today to try to get to the bottom of this...it's starting to piss me off. :(

I'll let you know what finally works...the only thing I can think is still messing it up is that I cannot get the Tahoe into the garage (too tall with the luggage racks)...so maybe it is not reading the Learn signal well enough?

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just got off the phone with HomeLink customer service. It turns out that the system I have in my Tahoe (and sounds like most 2007s do from here on out) is NOT a HomeLink product...the genuien HomeLink product has the single, triangular shaped LED. The 3 LED design is a generic, "GM Branded" system, supplied by a company which the representative was not aware of. I believe it may be Lear, as that is who answered the number I dialed from the GM Manual (but of course they were closed). I guess GM switched from the HomeLink branded design to some other company after their supply of Home Link units was used up...???

So, he sugegsted I take it to the dealer to get this resolved? Does anyone know anything about this Lear company?

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't recognize my garage door opener brand, so I may need a "conversion module"...I think I'll just use the damn transponders if that is the case...what a saga.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like another case where GM fixed something that wasn't broke. Probably saved two cents. :mad2:

car2Usupport

Reaction score
Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage Door opener

I as you tried for a hour to get to work. Called Chevorlet and they got me going. I also have the newer version of the home link system. The trangle one. You have to hold the door transmitter up to the buttons in the Tahoe and hold both buttons together for it to work.
Customer service for Chevy gave me the phone # for the instructions.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a weird one happen today. When I came home last night the button in the Tahoe opened the door just fine. Went to leave today and the door wouldn't shut. Went thru a debug process, worked with my wife's car and the regular remotes just not the Tahoe. No matter what I tried it would not work until I reprogrammed it. Anybody have their buttons lose the programming? Good thing it happened with the door up and not down. Now have my regular remote in the console as a backup just in case.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a weird one happen today. When I came home last night the button in the Tahoe opened the door just fine. Went to leave today and the door wouldn't shut. Went thru a debug process, worked with my wife's car and the regular remotes just not the Tahoe. No matter what I tried it would not work until I reprogrammed it. Anybody have their buttons lose the programming? Good thing it happened with the door up and not down. Now have my regular remote in the console as a backup just in case.

I know if you press and hold the two outside buttons, it will clear all programming.:ack: