Lowering a '11 Tahoe - 24 inch rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14kvision

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a new 2011 Tahoe LS and I’m looking for some advice/guidance on lowering it.

I think I’ve settled on ’24 inch KMC Slides’. I have a smaller garage with just enough room to pull the truck in with the mirrors folded and the height is a pretty tight fit. I’m presuming that once I get the 24’s on the height will increase substantially; for this reason (and just because I think it will look better) I would like to lower it either right before or after I get the new wheels.

My questions are:

1) I know nothing about lowering a vehicle – never done it before. What exactly do I need? Being that this is a new vehicle I don’t want to ghetto rig it and I want to do it the right way without damaging the vehicle or making any changes that can't be reversed later. Someone told me that the Tahoe has air suspension or something that will be disabled if I lower it??? If you could give me a link to everything I need to purchase I would be very grateful!

2) With 24 inch KMC Sliders what drop will give me the same ride height as I have now with the stock wheels on? (I don’t want to be really, really low – I like the height I drive at now) but I don't want a big gap in the wheel well.

3) Should I lower the vehicle before or after I get the new wheels – or does it not matter?

Again, I’m new to all this so forgive my ignorance; I do appreciate your help though.

GeorgiaFan

Reaction score
Hey man , you may wanna check here for some of your lowering questions on such a new vehicle. www.mcgaughys.com . If your not wanting something "slammed" i would say go with a subtle 2/3 drop ! It the most common . Ive done research as well and McGaughys is one the best i've found. Most of the kits are pretty much bolt on and can be taken off and replaced with stock. I will tell you if your planning on doing it yourself , its not something a you wanna try if you havent ever altered a suspension before. Hope ive helped in someway !

TahoeJo

Reaction score
Not to be rude but you definately dont know what youre talking about. When putting 24's on you will go with a lower profile tire to keep the overall height/diameter of the tire the same as stock or close to it. If the overall diameter is the same your height will be the same. The stock tire size you have now is 275/55/20... You're probably going to run a 35 series sidewall with 24" rims. If you're making the overall diameter bigger then you'll have to lift it to clear them, not lower it.
Is the only reason you want to lower it because you think 24" rims will make it sit higher?

TahoeJo

Reaction score
Also being an ls tahoe I doubt you have the autoride air suspension. Like you said if you like the ride height now, just do what I said, and run lower profile tires like everyone does. If you do go with a larger or smaller diameter it will affect your speedo too, but you can recalibrate that with the gm tech2 handheld at the dealership. Hope that was helpful...

HOLLYWOOD*

Reaction score
Whats up guys? Im new to the forum, i have two tahoes but am thinking of hooking up my 08'. I want to lower it a little without really changing the ride on it. What should i go with??

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

If you want to lower it right, I would talk to Norcal SS, he is a vendor here and does those kinds of things daily out of his shop. He would be able to not only fill you in on how to do what you want to do but also to find what you need.

ccorona01

Reaction score
I just put 26's on my 2012 Tahoe with 295/30/26.. Works just fine. Some people will say to go with 295/25/26 but there is no side wall.

Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a new 2011 Tahoe LS and I’m looking for some advice/guidance on lowering it.

I think I’ve settled on ’24 inch KMC Slides’. I have a smaller garage with just enough room to pull the truck in with the mirrors folded and the height is a pretty tight fit. I’m presuming that once I get the 24’s on the height will increase substantially; for this reason (and just because I think it will look better) I would like to lower it either right before or after I get the new wheels.

My questions are:

1) I know nothing about lowering a vehicle – never done it before. What exactly do I need? Being that this is a new vehicle I don’t want to ghetto rig it and I want to do it the right way without damaging the vehicle or making any changes that can't be reversed later. Someone told me that the Tahoe has air suspension or something that will be disabled if I lower it??? If you could give me a link to everything I need to purchase I would be very grateful!

2) With 24 inch KMC Sliders what drop will give me the same ride height as I have now with the stock wheels on? (I don’t want to be really, really low – I like the height I drive at now) but I don't want a big gap in the wheel well.

3) Should I lower the vehicle before or after I get the new wheels – or does it not matter?

Again, I’m new to all this so forgive my ignorance; I do appreciate your help though.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2/3 drop with 295 35 26 is fine just will need to trim rear fenderwells plastic a little.