Newbie to lifting need some help I have a 99 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeTerror

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a 99 tahoe back in feb, it already has a 3" lift done to it , but i noticed that im eating through ball joints on the front end, and upon further inspection it looks like the previous owner just used torsion bars maxed out to achieve the height, so there is alot of stress on the ball joints and it rides like crap.. was wondering if there is any suggestions to correct this problem Im also putting 35's on it with a body lift .. any advice is much appreciated

robbt

Reaction score
it rides like crap because the t-bars are maxed. lower it back down to stock and get a proper kit. Stay away from kits that advertise lifting 2"-4" or 4"-6" kits. That kit will lift it 2", or 4", then use the torsion bar to get the extra 2". back to bad ride. since the bars are max the angle on the ball joints are also not in stock or normal location. Basically they are maxed or near maxed and every time you hit a bump or flex the suspension beyond what it capable of handling extra stress is applied to the joint moving it beyond what it is capable of and it fails rematurely. Get a kit, replace the joints (with greasable joints), new alignment.

I personally do not like body lift. Too much of the frame is shown, bumper and body like do not match, wires are stretch, fuel line, hoses, steering shaft and more. They do help keep the CG lower, and give more tire clearance, but do not help with under body clearance.

With 35's, a 4" kit with cut out flares will work, or 6" without cutouts. You may also have to consider new gear ratio, like 4.56 gears. It will be a dog with stock gears.

Better yet, just go with a solid front axle conversion. It only money.

TahoeTerror

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice , I think i am going to go with a solid axle conversion that way if i want to go higher im not stuck with a kit that is maxed

robbt

Reaction score
agree. that is what I am going to do as well. finances willing.