3 front 2 back - leveling kit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mracer71

Reaction score
got the kit (keyes for the front and blocks for the back)- now for the main question - do i need taller shocks or not? currently running Bilsteins HD. Needless to say - don't want to spend extra $$$ if i don't have to. What is your opinion guys?

robbt

Reaction score
this may be a little late in reply. depends on what shock you got and its application. if you got shocks for a stock system, chances are you need longer one. best way to tell is to lift the truck by the bumper or hoist to allow the tires to drop. with the shocks disconnected, check to see if the shock reach the mount with full drop. plus a little extra for bounce. if they do not reach, get longer ones.

or you can just run them until they over extend and explode or something breaks. then you have to get new ones.

rhpdkodiak

Reaction score
Yes. I did 3 inch block and keys and replaced shocks with longer ones.

am_muscl

Reaction score
^^ which shocks did you end up going with? I'm considering doing this on my '02

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise some longer shocks, like bilsteins. I'd also like to poitn out that new keys for the GMT400 platform trucks is a waste of money as teh stock keys are more than enough to crank until you reach the stops which is obviously too much. Replacement keys are used on the newer trucks. If for some reason your keys did not allow enough crank, your torsion bars are shot.

Last point of advice is not to crank more than 2" in the front unless you want to tear up the front end.