Adding 20" wheels to my ride. May need to lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seattlemarc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about slapping on a set of 20" rims (w/ a +35 offset) on BFG's all terrain ta ko's (285/65r20) tires. I drive a 2000 Tahoe Z71 (old body style). Does anybody on the forum know if I will have clearance or tire-rubbing issues? If so, what is the max tire size that I can get away without having to lift my Tahoe or cut the wheel wells? OR...if I decide to lift, what is the bare minimum that I must lift to get this tire size to fit? Lifting my Tahoe is my 2nd alternative choice since my (short) wife drive my car too! :p

Thanks in advance for any help!

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Yes, you will have rubbing issues if you don't level it in the front. You CAN do this with adjusting the tortion bar keys, but that can put added stress on the control arms, cv axles, hub bearings, etc. The best way to do it is Something like the SuperKeys leveling kit below, you get the added ride height to be able to run up to a 33in tire and not mess with the factory ride and suspension geometry.

SuperKeys2inLevelingKit.jpg

Seattlemarc

Reaction score
If I level it on the front to create clearance from the rubbing issue, I'm assuming that the front end will be raised higher? Is there something that I must add to the rear to raise the rear end equal to the front?

Sorry for the noob questions! :p

clkelley

Reaction score
You don't have to for the level look. Or clearance. You CAN install coil spring spacers out back to raise it without a large lift, but leveling the front only brings the front up to where the back is.