New to site Have a idle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgunlock

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site and have searched everywhere for info about my problem before asking, so here it goes....
I have a 04 Tahoe LT with the flex fuel engine (5.3). About a month ago it started to have a very bad ticking sound. I determined it was internal so I tore it apart and found a stuck lifter and a grooved lobe on the cam. So I replaced the cam and lifters (comp) with a cam that does not need to have the computer reprogrammed according to comp cams..Put it all back together and everything is great EXCEPT the idle..It is smooth for a few seconds then just starts to surge, then it settles back down a little then just surges again...Does not matter if air is on or off.
The things I have checked so far is as follows: New acdelco plugs gapped correctly, new spark plug wires, new fuel pressure regulator, smoke checked the intake for leaks none found (have fel-pro intake gasket), new timing chain, new fuel filter, new o-rings on fuel injectors, new 02 front sensors, compression check is 170-180, tried the fuel injector cleaning, cleaned the throttle body, and cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Rented a fuel pressure gauge from OReily's that checked good..Sometimes the engine dies when I come to a stop light or go around a corner and don't have any pressure on the gas pedal..Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated....
Steve
Before I take it to the dealer, I want to make sure their is anything else that I could be missing.. the truck has 116,000 miles on it.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I see in the list of new parts that you replaced the front two O2 sensors, I would also replace the back two and see if that helps. If not you may need to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a custom tune from Black Bear Performance to ensure that tuning isn't the issue. If that isn't an option, after replacing the old O2 sensors you may want to simply have the dealer reflash the ECM to ensure that everything is right there as well.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes...

NCFD4303

Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a dirty MAF. but you can post this in the 2000-06 forum you might get more reply's