rear main seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zabawoo

Reaction score
I have a 2000 chevy tahoe, bought new, the rear main seal has been leaking for some time. Very small amount, non the less leaking and a pain. The transmission went out and I decide to fix the transmision and fix the rear main seal leak at the same time. After replacing the transmision and putting in a new seal, they tell me it probably will not seal becasue the crank shaft is pitted! I can't believe that this is not a manufactuer problem. How in the heck does a crank shaft pit? Anyone else have this problem, is there a recall out on this?.......

staggerlee

Reaction score
Did you personally see the pits?
Is it still leaking after replacing the seal?

You can call the parts dept. of a stealership, and find out if there is a recall for this.
I have never seen that problem myself.
Lee

zabawoo

Reaction score
rear main seal leak/pitted crank shaft

Yes I did see the pitts...I did talk to the dealership and called Chevy direct..
Nothing....But seems to me that's a defect and not something that would just happen, I'm bummed Chevy is not standing behind it. After all the chevy's my family and I have purchased over the years. Strickly Chevys for them not to at least investigate! Not sure I'll ever buy a Chvy again?

staggerlee

Reaction score
The pits are probably chewing up the lips of the seal.
Looks like you will have to replace the yoke & seal next time.

Its just hard to understand how it could be pitted there.
Lee

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Unfortunately, the pitting more than likely came from running with the bad seal for so long without repair.

clkelley

Reaction score
With ANY mechanical lubricated assembly or machine, if you have leaks through a seal like the rear main, axles seals, tranny seals or anything else for that matter, (unless it is like the valve cover gaskets). Basically anything that seals a rotating assembly; although the repair can be expensive due to labor the labor involved, it pays to get them fixed ASAP. Otherwise you run the risk of paying for deeper issues later down the road....