97 yukon amp issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ricocargo

Reaction score
I bought a 97 YUKON SLT, with no radio installed and bought a stock radio off ebay, with cassette & the separate single CD player. I've installed the radio and everything functions properly except it doesn't have much volume. If I turn it up I get a lot of distortion and really low volume. I thought the power amp was blown. After reading this forum I realize I have a separate power amp. I can see the amp above the gas pedal as described in the sticky of this forum. And I also see a hump under the carpet under my drivers seat, not anxious to take a utility knife to the carpet. Not sure if I have two power amps? I have a six speaker system with speakers in each door and two above the tail window. I'm currently getting sound from all speakers., (just not much).

1. Is it possible I have two power amps?
2. Where is the power amp relay located?
3. Can I just replace the stock power amp with an aftermarket?
4. Is there any troubleshooting I can do to help figure what the issue is?

thx

eric

ricocargo

Reaction score
Crickets

So, I've continued researching, maybe I can narrow the the issue. I pulled the radio back out and checked, I am getting 12V on the pink wire when the unit is on. And the wire harness has not been altered. When I checked the power amp connector, with the radio on, I get no voltage at any of the wires. And when I unplug the connector from the amp, nothing changes, the radio plays just as before, but just at the pre-amp volume. So, I'm thinking that there may be a problem with the power amp relay.

Does anyone know where that relay is located? I can't really follow the wires because they all lead up behind the dash.

98chubby

Reaction score
First off, If you want a louder stereo system get rid of the stock radio! It is pointless to try to even connect and aftermarket amp to a stock stereo. I have a six speaker system aswell and I am running 1 amp for my doors, and roof speakers.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, If you want a louder stereo system get rid of the stock radio! It is pointless to try to even connect and aftermarket amp to a stock stereo. I have a six speaker system aswell and I am running 1 amp for my doors, and roof speakers.

First Off you're wrong dude u dont need a aftermarket stereo for loudness i think the stock stereos are perfectly fine. and as for you yes there may just be somthing wrong with your amp but dont ask me where it is becuase i literally have no freaking idea and well luckily your rear roof speakers are working mine ar NOT which sucks and i am trying to fix!!!!!