New member! And also.. Please read! In need of help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian

Reaction score
Sup guys, I'm new here! One of the main purposes that I joined is that I need help fixing my 2003 tahoe. The speedometer isn't working at all. It's stuck at 0 no matter how hard I punch the accelerator. But can anyone give me a link to a previous forum that discussed how to fix this problem or just comment below and tell me differnt ways of fixing this. I'm looking for a do-it-myself fix. I'm low on cash right now and I'm not looking foward to paying for aftermarket chips or whatever. Please help me out! Any advice is greatly appreciated !!

neilbomb

Reaction score
Could be many things, but...

I had a similar problem in my '04. Mine would work, but then would be stuck at a certain speed or it would be off by 10 or 20 mph. These vehicles are notorious for the speedo and other instrument cluster gauges not working. I was able to replace the Stepper Motor for the speedometer. Now it works flawlessly. I know you said money is tight and this is definetly the cheapest fix. You have to find out first if it is a cluster issue or something else. If it's a cluster issue, theres a VERY good chance the Stepper Motor is inoperable. I bought a pack of two on ebay for about $13 (not sure if the motors are the same from 2003-2004, probably are).

One more thing. Check all of your cluster lights before you take it apart, if you're in there repairing a motor you might as well replace any bad bulbs too (just a suggestion).

This is a link from Youtube on how to complete the stepper motor replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWELz904fj0&feature=fvwrel

If you know how to use a soldering iron, you can complete the repair yourself. Just be sure this is the problem before you tear your cluster apart.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• GM Instrument Cluster Stepper Motor.jpg
    GM Instrument Cluster Stepper Motor.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I agree with the above information, sounds like the stepper motor itself...