Rear calipers move and rattle but the bolts are tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverlx

Reaction score
Ok I've been diagnosing a rear end rattle for a long time and when I slide under the truck yesterday I found that each rear caliper moves slightly just when I jerk back and forth on it. It makes a clanking sound too of course. I tried to tighten the bolts but that they are already tight. Is theRe a bushing or something that is suppose to keep these from any movement or metal on metal contact? I think this is the source of my rattle but I'm not sure if the slight play in the calipers is normal. Anybody?

2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

how many miles are on your truck? Have you ever flushed your brake fluid? If not then the calipers can be worn out causing the pistons not to function properly and that COULD cause a little play. While it is rare that you would get enough play to actually cause a noticeable rattle, it IS possible. Not changing the brake fluid regularly can and will in time lead to brake parts failure.

In an attempt to fix the issue, you can remove them and remove the pad alignment bracket from the calipers and check the movement of the pistons with a large c-clamp by depressing the pistons; while you have it apart, regrease the guide rods that go from the calipers to the pad brackets and completely flush the brake fluid and see if things improve. If you still have the rattle after that then I doubt it is the calipers.

Silverlx

Reaction score
I've got 74k on it and had Chevrolet change the brakes about 9 months ago. I've done brakes on mustangs before and never seen that kind of play from a front or rear caliper. I'm just not sure was wears out to cause that kind of movement.

clkelley

Reaction score
If they didn't grease the guide studs well, or get everything seated properly when they serviced them then it can happen. While it is rare it does happen. But then again, I don't trust most dealerships either.