Leveling the Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schilly

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2003 Tahoe. As with most SUVs/Trucks, the front end is sagging a little bit. I was told installing a leveling kit would take care of this. But was also told by another mechanic that they could try to adjust sway bars to bring it up to the same level as the rear end? Is that true? Any advise on this topic would be appreciated.

Also, a few seconds after turning on the car the automatic leveling kicks in and it looks and sounds like the read end of the car is being extended. What is the purpose of this? Can it be turned off?

drob928

Reaction score
I cranked up the torsion bars on mine and it did the trick. I was running the stock tires, cranked the T-bars up and now I'm running 33's with no rub what so ever.

josh93hoe

Reaction score
Does raising the torsion bars make it ride rough. As far as going over bumps etc? because if i can out of getting a 2" leveling kit to put new wheels and bigger tries on sounds good to me..

drob928

Reaction score
It didn't for me. Rides like it did when I first got it, and I've put it through living hell.

KLFER

Reaction score
just a little FYI: If you get torsion bars keys i would put front shocks on as well. Every set of torsion bar keys i have installed have striped out and oe shocks blow out from over extending. raising torsion bars doesn't change the ride quality its still the same pressure, do not max t-bars out you risk blowing the shock also. i measure each side of the frame till each are level, stay within 1/4 inch of bottoming out the t-bars adjuster bolt. note the t-bars adjuster bolts will not have the same thread count. some people measure tire to wheel well but the suspension is not level one side will have less travel the the other side, thats why i level it by the frame. for some reason the body does not match the frame.

drob928

Reaction score
I put new shocks on 5 days ago. Thanks for the information though I appreciate it.

Jwterry3

Reaction score
See my post today...I first cranked the keys but my 33's still rubbed and it didn't to a whole lot for me. I installed the RC 2 inch leveling kit and it is a better ride and look all together.

btowns

Reaction score
I would also assume it would depend on what width of 33's you're looking at too. A tight turn with 12.50's would rub.

Fast803

Reaction score
go with the 2' rough country leveling kit with shocks and all included, put it on my 2002 4wd 5.l v8 tahoe and it makes it look soooo much better and it rides like a dream

Stephens97

Reaction score
Torsion keys help?

I have some procomp 62150 torsion keys and wondering if they would fit on my 2005 Tahoe the keys are for 97-04 f150 and 2.5 inch keys help please?

jrobertson

Reaction score
Quick question guys; I am also new on the whole Tahoe thing. I recently installed 3 inch lift keys. The guy at the alignment shop told me maxing the keys out would cause the steering wheel to jerk violently when you hit a bump. Is this true? Im only sitting a half inch higher in the front than the back. I was really hoping for more clearance. Can you guys tell me how much is the max to turn the keys up without causing trouble? I still have almost a full inch of threads showing on my torsion key bolts. I have seen where several people are sitting a full 1.5"-2" higher in the front than the rear which is what I had hoped for so that I could put a 1 inch spacer in the rear and still be above level in the front. I like the squatted look. Do you guys have any measurement on how much threads you have left on your bolts? I assume some of these guys have them ran all the way up.