Hi folks, New here. Head gasket or intake gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belkins

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Well I just bought my first Tahoe a week ago and am very excited, It’s a 1999 LT. 118K miles.

When I bought the Tahoe it came with a inspection report. It stated that the rear main seal needs replacing. When I look under the truck there is oil all over the transmission cover and bell housing, but has oil going all the way up to the heads. SO i took it to my mechanic and he seems to think it’s just the intake gasket leaking and possibly could be the head gasket. He won’t know for sure until he does a full inspection on it.

My question to all of you is, what’s the possibility that it’s the head gasket?

I got a flashlight and inspected the intake cover the best I could and didn’t really see any oil. My next thought was the valve cover gasket but couldn’t tell since there was so much oil everywhere. My mechanic thinks it’s it the back of the intake.

This Tahoe is very clean and seems to be well taken care of. (I really don’t have any proof of this) I know it only had 1 previous owner and must have been kept in the garage since the paint is flawless and the undercarriage is spotless. The engine bay is also spotless except for the oil leak.
:welcome::welcome::welcome: