I need help badly with my suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ninjakyd

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 02 Tahoe and I think the previous owner had it dropped. when i pull up to another tahoe i'm like 6 inches lower in the front and the rear is real low. The suspension is the worst when i hit a bump i could feel something banging. I change the shocks to Bilstien and it felt a little better. i replaced the rear springs but its still rides the same. what should i do.

ninjakyd

Reaction score
More than 16,000 members and no one have an answer for me?!!

boodah

Reaction score
suspension...

Find out how the truck was dropped...
A garage should not have to charge you if you need them to put it on a lift for you.
Your truck was probably dropped with replacement springs ( or cut springs ) in the back and torsion keys in the front.
Some people save money by leaving the stock shocks in. Stock size shocks may cause some of the "banging" you describe ( the shaft compresses inside the shock body to it's limit )

Replacing the shocks with new ones may have given you a better ride temporarily, unless you installed "lowered" or shortened height shocks.

The banging noise needs to be addressed. A complete visual inspection of the undercarriage should be performed. Again, a shop should at least help you check for any damage and make more suggestions...

ninjakyd

Reaction score
i went to a shop and the mechanic said to install bigger shocks

boodah

Reaction score
suspension

Did the mechanic have any more info ?
I could only assume that after his inspection he noticed that the Bilsteins you installed are not the right size... ( ? )
Did he have any explanation about the "banging" ?

Can you post some pics of your suspension ?

Hope someone else can chime in on this ... :confused:

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best thing to do is to post pics i bought my tahoe and it was lowered 5.5" and you can really tell the difference. after i put it to stock height its alot better but my stock suspension kind of sucks anyways. im planning on lifting it..

theres alot of ways to modify the stock suspension to lower the truck but its a lil bit opposite to lift it. in your case and in my case what i ended up doing was taking a look at the suspension to see if the front upper and lower control arms were ever replaced and to see if the rear springs are any different color than black. that would be the easiest way to do a "quik" check. If everything looks ok then i would buy some factory torsion keys to see if that makes a difference. the guy used the factory torsion keys on my truck to lower it but all he did was release the pressure on the keys and turn them about a quarter turn and reinstalled and boom your front end is lowered with factory keys but the ride quality sucks @$$. ill try to post some pics tonight of my truck when it was lowered and to factory height so you may see the difference and maybe compare to your trucks height now....

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and aftermarket control arms are very easy to distinguish from factory control arms. the factory look bulky and square around the edges. but aftermarket arms are rounded off and normally tubular. the finish might look alot different also

KLFER

Reaction score
Just to give you a heads up shocks will not change the ride height unless they are air shocks. If your Tahoe is that low i would think you have drop spindles in the front and lowering springs in the rear. And you will need new shocks also if you raise it back up.

ninjakyd

Reaction score
thanks guy for the help.....
i check and i had aftermarket shocks and springs. i change them to oem and change the torsion bar keys. my truck is higher and rides like brand new.