Newbie here...need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tainui

Reaction score
I joined today after reading and researching the Tahoe. Seems like people are getting used to their 2007's and I see the parts lists are growing every day.

I'm looking to hear some Pros and Cons of the 07 Tahoe. Thinking about trading in my 2006 Grand Cherokee SRT-8.

I understand that the Tahoe will be a totally different animal. But I need a daily driver and to pull a trailer </= 5,000 lbs depending. Better cargo room, MUCH better ride, MUCH better second row seating, better economy, many choices for rims (sizes/tires/etc). I know a truck is not for gas mileage but the Tahoe is a step in the right direction.

What are some of the drawbacks or cons if you will. Today I'm excited and only seeing the good. This is how I ended up with a 500hp Jeep and don't want to make a similar mistake again.

The Jeep is awesome but the mileage (8-10 city and 12-14 hwy SUCKS). Just so you know who I am - I put some work in the Jeep and estimate nearly 500 hp today. Ported polished heads/intake, cam, long tube headers, CAI kit, matching tint for the front sides, small woofer, the list goes on. I will say its a rocket and you'll be hard pressed to beat it between lights.

Someone help! Sitting on the fence is giving me wicked splinters.

Thanks,

Tai

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like you say, totally different animal. I myself came from my 2004 GTO, which after mods was putting down a little over 400hp...a very fun ride for a few years! I used to race everyone, always being in that "competitive" driving mode...always looking for challengers. Now, in the Tahoe, I am just cruising, just enjoying the awesome ride, all the luxury. The Tahoe isn't terribly slow and ungainly, but it is not real quick off the line (it does however have nice mid and upper rpm power)...so you lose that sense of brisk acceleration that you're used to. The ride is great...very cush, but still handles well for a large truck...but the best is the tightness and quietness as you cruise down the highway.

I'd say the best recommendation is to go and take some extended test drives in a Tahoe...any dealer that really wants your business will agree to let you take the truck for a few hours, some will even let you have it overnight. I drove one several times, without a salesman, for extended drives...that's the best way to experience it. Good luck with your decision...I miss the power and speed, but I love the luxury of the Tahoe...I'll get a Corvette when this lease is up and have the go fast machine again... :)

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
The biggest problem I have is wiping the grin off my face when driving this truck, it does all I need in comfort and style. I absolutely love this truck and I recommend everyone get one(ok I'm dreaming here) but I am the worlds biggest Tahoe fanatic!

hmoobsupra

Reaction score
If you can afford why not keep both? One for fun and the other to cruise around...while shopping I was looking at a range of SUVs...Sequoia, Armada, GX470, X5...but the new body style of the Tahoe/Yukon/Cadillac caught my eyes. Overall, it's a well styled SUV and the ride is very very nice...I could not justify paying $10K plus for the Denali or Escalade for just a few minor details so I bought the Yukon. It's my first domestic purchase so let's see how the car will hold up.....

slowmobile

Reaction score
My yukon was my first domestic purchase. I still like it alot, but I've had a few minor (what I feel is minor) problems. Overall the drivetrain and chasis seem to be solid. I'm not a big fan of domestics, but Nissan Armada's aren't scoring so high in the reliability department...plus I'm not pleased with the styling. I really like Toyota and Honda, but I don't want a Sequoia or Pilot. If this was only for the wife, then it would be okay. Then the domestics, I never was a GM fan, but something about the previous ford cars I or my friends have owned just made me feel like they are crap. Well, Dodge seems to have reliability issues also... plus the durango is ugly. I really liked the styling of the Tahoe over the Yukon, but there isn't a Tahoe Denali and I really loved the 6.2.... But the real reason is that the Boss (wife) liked the Yukon more.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to be a Ford Explorer Fanatic for years. Now I prefer the Tahoe :) The suspension, space and its bigger in size and engine plus just a tad better in fuel economy.

Tainui

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Very helpful comments.

kpanza - I think you and I are in a similar boat (or at least I'm rocking my own canoe trying to settle down and not tip over). Glad to hear you don't regret it. This makes me decision a little easier.

hmoobsupra - The Jeep does the sporty thing pretty well and the SUV thing just okay. But it is neither if you see what I mean. I think I'll end up with a Saturday car at some point. Something I can tinker with and tweak but not need for everyday. Besides the trucks better be REALLY comfortable because I'll be living in the garage if I have both.

I took the Mrs. by the Chevrolet and GMC dealerships last night and its looking like the Yukon Denali now. This because "the front of the Tahoe looks like every other work pickup truck you see." Well I guess that should make Chevy proud - they're selling enough 1500's that even she noticed. :D At any rate The Yukon Denali was very comfortable, nicely appointed, smooth ride - even with the 20" rims. You have a full size SPARE tire. Which will be a nice addition from the Jeep which has none.

Which do you, as owners, prefer the 2nd row bench or the captains chairs?
How is the factory Navigation? Would you reccomend it over the aftermarket in dash units like Alpine or Pioneer?

Thanks all

slowmobile

Reaction score
BTW, I've put on 13K and have had it since June. The problems I've had are: water in headlight, faux chrome peeling on inside door handle, and a problem with the seat skin. I considered these minor, but I leave it for you to decide; all items were covered under warranty. To be honest I did expect fit/trim issues from domestics, but I do still feel that America still has the best full size suv/trucks. I really don't have any major complaints except fuel economy, but it's still best in it's class so you are not going to get any better. I think it is lame that you can't play a dvd and cd at the same time if you take the nav system but there is a workaround. I also wish it was possible to have a fold flat 3rd row and not affect the shape of the vehicle. I also wish the second row was removable, but to be honest I've never needed the space that removing the second row would have provided. What would have been really nice is if the put the duramax/allison combo in the yukon and tahoes. I definitely would have put up the extra cash for that.

slowmobile

Reaction score
I prefer the captain chairs, but I only have one child. I like it because of the fact that it reclines and it just feels more "pimp" since you are in your own seat. My friend prefers the bench so that all three car seats fit in the same row and one child is not alone in the back. I like the factory nav becàuse it flows well with the cars interior. I feel the aftermarket ones are better, but I prefer the way the factory one looks in the car plus you add it to financing. The nav works great, but for the same amount of money the aftermarket units have more features/functions. On the factory nav, you can't play a dvd and cd at the same time. I ended up using a mp3 so the wife could listen to music and the child could watch a dvd. If you take the non-nav radio, you'll have two separate slots. I originally didn't want the nav, but I figured that if the backup camera save a ding in the rear it would be worth it.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the captain's chairs (2nd row), and love them...my passengers love it when they can recline them. My only wish was that they could also adjust front to back, especially since at 6'4" my driver's seat is well back - the person riding behind me better be short, or else it gets cramped for them...if the captains chairs could move it would make it perfect! It probably depends if you have kids or not whether you would prefer them? My brother has two daughters, and he said he would have gotten the bench for simplicity for the car seats, plus piling on the blankets and other crap he has...myself, with no kids, I love the captains chairs. My passengers will love me when we're on the way to the river and they can recline the seats on the long trip!