Conversion to carburetion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoeLTla

Reaction score
Hello to all new member here! I have a 2000 chevy Tahoe LT with the factory 5.3 Liter vortech engine and I was wondering if there is a way to convert the engine to run off of a carburetion system instead of the stock electronic fuel injection system?

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there some type of benefit that you are trying to accomplish? you might be able to convert to carb but you will need to take all the sfi stuff out, pcm, so on and so forth. only problem would be the transmission shift solenoid and other miscellaneous sensors will probably cease to function, given they are not mechanical and you will either need to do alot of converting and custome modification or not even try at all. thats my opinion

2000tahoeLTla

Reaction score
I just like carb. Systems easier to tune and work with but I was thinking if it interferes with the computer systems of the vehicle I won't fool with it. I'm not too good when it comes to electrical components or systems.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya the way things are set up now. , it will be kind of a pain. ive seen conversions from carb to efi but not the other way around. but the whole purpose of the efi is to improve performance and gas mileage.

03TahoeHawk

Reaction score
I think it would be far more trouble than it could ever be worth. One of the great things about EFI is that you don't need to constantly tune and tweak it. I'm with you on the nostalgia and average joe fixability of a carb, but it would mess up far more things than it would ever help. Also, if you want to tweak it for performance purposes you can always look into performance chips to override the computers current settings.

st3v3n96

Reaction score
if you think carburetors are easier to work with I understand because im doing the same to my 95. if you wanted to do it you would need to pull all electrical sensors computer etc. youll need a carburetor new intake manifold and I think its called a throttle position sensor. there are some other things that are little and I cant remember at this time but it wouldn't be all that difficult besides removing all the sensors.

keek007

Reaction score
i was thinking about getting a doner 1 ton carb truck and swap in the drivetrain and axels with a solid axel swap kit added in. keeping the gauges working and making sure the gas gauge works as well plus you would have to also add gauges to cover any idiot lights ya may want if possible, havent seen all the idiot lights in mine yet. the benifit i see is the ability to fix it in the field, find cheap parts, but still have all the modern comforts ya cant have in an older truck. you would have to do some ac work as well. a 700r4 trans can keep the overdrive and i think you could make the rest work but that is a ton of work and basically a full restoration mod session. would take me about a year to do im guessing based on the time i could put down on it with a family. im going to look for carb truck and use it for the harsher stuff and drive the tahoe daily