Questions about the rear end leaf springs please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krazycarl

Reaction score
Hi im Carl Cordova and im new here. i have a 1999 Tahoe 4 door 2 wheel drive 5.7 vortex. i use my truck to do a good amount of towing, my question is "could i take my truck to a machine shop and Safely take out the rivets and do a reverse shackle?" to lift the rear so the truck doesn't squat so much. any advice would be nice thank you.

krazycarl

Reaction score
I'm guessing about one inch or two with just the trailer but its really noticeable when i load the trailer up and go do a dump run. iv been doing some research and i guess i could go with just a helper spring or an add a leaf but wouldn't that stiffen up my ass end? like when i go over bumps. i was just thinking about doing that reverse shackle mount so i can keep my soft ride but lifting the rear end a little and i came on here for advice. :)

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked at my rear shackles, don't see 'rivets', or any way to reverse it, shackle mount is shrouded. A 1" spacer between the axle and springs could give you 1 1/2" at the bumper. Have you looked at the jc whitney air-adjustable bladder/balloon helpers? Pump 'em up when loaded, deflate when unloaded...

krazycarl

Reaction score
yeah i was checking those out as well, i already have a air tank and compressor in the truck for my train horns so it would be easy to get solenoids and switches and pressure gauges.

alpinestarz

Reaction score
You could always go for a heavier duty leaf spring maybe something from skyjacker?