2/4 Drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joker66599

Reaction score
Hey guys I am about to get my hands on my Tahoe here shortly. First new car ever! I am so excited. Anyways when i was building my s-10 I remembered doing group buys/installs for things. Does anyone still do this? I am looking at a 2/4 drop for my Tahoe. I have talked to a local company that makes the coils and was just wondering. They said they would help me/us out but not sure if its against the rules here. hints why I have not posted their name.

NathanJax

Reaction score
I'd use a belltech kit. They make a 2/3-4 kit that most tahoe/yukon owners use.

Steve1081

Reaction score
I agree on belltech for the rear. The only thing available for the front right now that I am aware of would be a lowering strut or spring relocator which I used.

Taken from my post on another forum:

Finished lowering the rear tonight. I purchased the Belltech 34324 kit off of amazon for $187 with free shipping. This is the kit that includes 3505 springs, 1" spacer, autoride link, bumpstops, and shock mount extenders.

Belltech 34324 Springs Coil by Belltech http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CST5H8/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_HsSGtb17RK1Z9

I installed the springs with the 1" spacer I also reinstalled both top and bottom spring isolators as I was trying to get on the low end of the advertised drop. I got about 2" of drop. Here are before and after measurements.

Before After
Front 36 1/2 36 1/2
Rear 38 36

The install is pretty simple. You need a big floor jack and big jack stands. Don't screw around with small ones... I didn't need a spring compressor. Here are few tips to get enough slack to drop the axle far enough to get the springs right in with spacers:

- remove the bolt in the brake line bracket on the top of the diff from the driver side... This provides some extra slack on the brake lines which do get tight. You can see it in the middle of the picture below.

mG51K9o.jpg

- remove away bar end links. Instructions didn't say to do this but it made it much easier to get the spring in. Picture below.

lWMmVsP.jpg

- on the passenger side remove the bracket that holds the brake line off the exhaust. I didn't get a picture but this will give more slack when dropping the axle.

- remove the speed sensor cable from the 2 plastic clips (both sides) before dropping the axle to provide slack. Pictures below.

1106nHz.jpg

KxIcn0o.jpg

I took a cruise around the block after installing and hit a few pot holes... Seems to ride about the same as stock as far as I can tell.

oGIrBGP.jpg

After night time profile shot. More to come when the sun comes up

Steve1081

Reaction score
Update 5/28/14:

Installed the mcgaughy's spring relocators tonight. Took me quite a long time...
But came out great! I got about 1.5" of
Drop with both spacers in. So it seems to get a little more drop than advertised.

Before After
Front 36 1/2 35
Rear 38 36

I have a few tips for this install as well:

- don't do this without an impact wrench or at very least a 2 foot torque wrench or similar if you want an upper body workout too. I spent way too long cranking on spring compressors!!! (I suggest you youtube strut replacement before doing this as well)

- I used these spring compressors from amazon because they were cheap with decent reviews ($36 bucks from amazon warehouse deals). They handled the heavy duty springs without a problem. But... See above about impact wrench.

Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-3054 MacPherson Strut Spring Hook Compressor by Advanced Tool Design http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OUW78O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_-hyHtb1DF6Z47

- make sure you have several socket extensions totaling about 18". This makes it way easier to remove the 3 bolts on the top strut mounts. I found a few worked better than one long one because that gives it some flexibility to get around stuff.

- I cut down the bump stops to the 2nd notch... Removing about an inch and a half. I was worried about a worse ride if it was riding on the bumpstops often... I didn't have instructions so I have no idea what the kit tells you to do.

- pay attention to the way the strut is lined up and assembled before tearing it apart. I used blue painters tape to help remember how everything lined up.

Here is a picture of one modified strut and one pre modification:

olJVrlE.jpg

Before (about 7" from perch to mount)
v8KWHQd.jpg

After (about 6" from perch to mount)
17jvhNc.jpg

You can see that you could remove the 2 spacers and get about 2.5" of drop with this kit... Seems you would be riding on a really short amount of shock travel. I am happy I went with both spacers in.

Late night shots of the final product:

6l9cqjy.jpg

QXYpCb4.jpg

79QhuAU.jpg

OgmKfcZ.jpg

0e7J61Z.jpg

gJCB9pb.jpg