USB Ports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

setme31

Reaction score
I ran a test with the USB ports in my 2015 Tahoe LT last night, and they are pathetic for charging. My Samsung Galaxy s4 reported 650 mA. That's terribble considering my phone gets 1200 mA when plugged into an outlet or 1000mA on a 12 volt charger. It would take 4 or 5 hours to charge a dead battery at 650 mA.

I guess I will hang onto my old clunky 12 volt charger. It would be so nice to only have a 3 foot USB cord in my truck for charging. :sad72:

Last edited:

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking with Galaxy Charging Current Lite on my Samsung S4 I get 460mA when using the Tahoe USB. But that is the same as I get when use a desktop computer USB port. I am surprised you got 650 mA since the limitation on USB ports is 500 mA. I consider car charging an emergency thing. You can't blame the Tahoe since the current draw on all USB ports is limited to 500mA and the voltage to 5 volts. If I plug the wall charger into the Tahoe's 120V plug I get 1200 mA just like in a house outlet.

Last edited:

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course the USB ports are there for media connectivity, being able to charge, albeit at a slow rate, is just side benefit