Sun Roof Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmdmal822

Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased a 2015 Tahoe LTZ about three weeks ago. I really wanted to order a Yukon Denali, but I wasn't going to wait up to six months for a factory order on the vehicle I wanted. Every dealership did not have the vehicle I was looking for. I was told there is a order hold on the package I wanted to order and the release for the build would be lengthy. I really liked the GMC because of the 6.2 power. The get up in go between both vehicles when I test drove both is greatly noticed. So I had to settle for the 5.3 in the Tahoe. I was a bit nervous buying the first new model year, but I kept telling myself I had no issues with the 2007 that I kept for over 30k miles before I purchased an Avalanche. So, I took the plunge and purchased the 2015. The first thing I did when it got my new Tahoe home was take out the factory exhaust and air box and replace them with higher performance components to wake up the 5.3. I still need to find the right programmer to complete the process. I have the Edge on my Avalanche and really like the performance. I like the program on the fly features and diagnostics with this model but they do not have one out yet I don't want one that sticks on the windshield with a suction cup mount. It cheapens the interior. A nice dash pod like I have on my Avalanche is the way to go. I may have to fabricate my own if someone doesn't come out with one. I'm sure someone will. I just have to have patience.

Well after all the drawn out blog, I never checked every feature on my new Tahoe when I picked it up. Someone mentioned too many features in this new Tahoe. You cannot grasp them all in one short session. I tried my sunroof yesterday. Nothin!!!!!!! I checked the "Stupid" Manuel which I refer to when I can't figure something out to check to see if there is a lock out for the switches or something. Nope. I checked the fuses and the sunroof fuse is good. I guess it's back to the dealer with only 39 miles on the odometer. Sad to see a 68k truck to already go back for warranty. Hence the new model year!!!! The sunroof package is on hold for new factory orders for the GMC. I wonder if this is one of reasons. Any one else have a sunroof issue? Thanks for reading.

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None in mine but manual says this

On vehicles with a sunroof, the
sunroof only operates when the
ignition is in ACC/ACCESSORY or
ON/RUN, or when Retained
Accessory Power (RAP) is active

jmdmal822

Reaction score
Thanks. I did read the manual. Truck was running. My build date reflects the day built was Friday, I should say no more. Appointment at the dealer this Saturday. I'm guessing the switch wasn't plugged in or a bad motor. I could have checked myself, but why chance breaking the overhead console when it's a warranty fix, I hope. :happy160:

jmdmal822

Reaction score
Sunroof Issue

Well, I'm back. Went to my dealer today to pick up the front bumper moulding/facia that I had ordered to accommodate chrome tow hooks. The service manager saw me and asked if I had a few minutes to look at the sunroof. The tech drove it to the service bay and 20 minutes later the issue was fixed. I spoke to the tech briefly and he snickered, the switch wasn't plugged in. Nice!!!!! Then a few minutes later I walked into the service area and overheard the tech talking. I caught wind that I note was left something to the context. "I hope you found this in less than an hour. " They saw me and the conversation ended. If this was some GM employees prank during assembly, that is pretty juvenile. It does not send a positive image for General Motors. It inconveniences the customer and costs GM to fix the prank. I'm sure the dealership doesn't complain because they get paid either way. Then we wonder why new vehicles cost the consumer an arm and a leg!!! Any employee who is disgruntled and does these company tarnishing pranks should be fired!!! Those are my two cents. I just got done installing the tow hooks. I do say they look awesome.:peace:

Last edited:

mickey5

Reaction score
Hey jmdmal 822, since you tested both the 6.2 and 5.3 and changed the exhaust did you ever notice the drone/rumble in V4 (refer to my thread on this).

jmdmal822

Reaction score
Mickey5,

You know I haven't noticed it at all. I did not have the test driven vehicles up to highway speeds for too long and I really didn't look to see if the V4 mode kicked in. I only have about 70 miles on the OD right now and I'm keeping it conservative for the first 500 miles. I know I really don't have to baby it, but I'm still old school when it comes to I brand new vehicle that I probably will keep a few years. I have a friend who has a 15 LS and he has not noticed any of the drone noise and travels at highway speeds all the time so I'm sure the V4 kicks in. I know there is all sorts of blogs on it but haven't experienced it yet. I heard it may be due the air seal in the cabin which builds up pressure at higher speeds. They told me air gets in and pressurizes the cabin like an airplane. The seal is so tight that the air coming in has no way to escape causing the issue. The remedy is cracking a window when you start to hear or feel it, stops it immediately. Another possibility may be an exhaust issue. I heard its from the exhaust being routed out the back and the secondary resonator at the tailpipe. I cannot see this because this is the way it's been done since 2007. I will never know because I changed the exhaust to a FlowMaster CAT back system which discharges out the rear right and does not have a resonator at the tailpipe. Bottom line, no one knows. Keep me posted if you hear anything else and I will do the same if I start to experience the same. Best regards..

mickey5

Reaction score
jmdmal822,

Thanks for the insight. Good luck with your new ride. Cheers.