Magnetic Ride Control on '15 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralphtt1

Reaction score
Have almost 3500 miles on my LTZ now and am not at all impressed with the magnetic ride control. Seems a little harsh and does not really smooth bumps like my 2013 did. That said, it's still the best Tahoe I have owned but I really wish the shocks were a little more forgiving.

Does this '15 LTZ use air suspension also? Don't remember any mention of that in the specs.

What do you think of the ride of your '15 LTZ?

Would appreciate the benefit of your experience . . . :boti:

Thanks in advance!

Ralph T

mjpopp

Reaction score
Not happy with the ride of my LTZ at all. I thought magnetic ride control would smooth out all the little bumps and give the truck a nice soft ride. I think GM missed the boat on all these trucks and took away our nice riding past vehicles. Regret upgrading at this point.

jl449

Reaction score
cars.com (http://www.cars.com/chevrolet/tahoe/2015/expert-reviews)
"According to David Schiavone, GMC Denali product manager, the Magnetic Ride Control shocks are being improved to make them less sensitive to small road irregularities, and the change will be available late this year. I also had a chance to drive a 2015 GMC Yukon SLT with the Premium Smooth Ride suspension and preferred its softer tuning to the current Magnetic Ride Control. Body control was nearly as good, too."

Seems like the 2015i got an improved version of the magnetic ride control shock.

mjpopp

Reaction score
Hopefully they do something that can be changed on current vehicles. Wish the dealers would have been more forthcoming about options instead of pushing to sell a vehicle.

JWRed

Reaction score
Well I've only had my 15 LTZ for a couple weeks now with limited highway experience. Tomorrow it gets the ultimate test when I venture into the Big Apple, as those are not really what you'd call paved roadways.

I'll post my assessment upon return. Might be a good idea to insert the mouth guard from those college days in the trenches as a precaution . . . right!

JW

savaiusini

Reaction score
I'm really happy with the ride of my LT with the Premium Ride/Max Trailering Pkg...

BlessedHellRide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just took a new 2015 Z71 Tahoe and LTZ Tahoe for comparision and the Z71 ride seemed more compliant and composed ride. I am in a 2015 LTZ for a few day and I will say that its still a great ride. I myself have wondered if the Mag Sus can be paired with the air springs. I have the Max Trailering package and checked under the vehicle and did not see anything besides the shocks and the coils. No air springs that I could see anywhere. I think the same goes for the Z71, there is no way to add the Max Trailering package with the airsprings. GM sure does make things complicated.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaiusini View Post
I'm really happy with the ride of my LT with the Premium Ride/Max Trailering Pkg...

You guys must be kidding!! This truck doesn't have 1/2 the ride of my 2001 Yukon or 96 Tahoe. I see one of you drives in Arizona/California and the other on TX where you must have great roads. I live in Michigan with probably the worst roads in the country so ride quality is important to me. I read in an advertisement that with the new coil over shock design they were able to INCREASE the spring stiffness by 35%. They weren't kidding.

The beginning of March my wife and I drove our 2015 Tahoe LT with the max trailer option to our Condo in Myrtle Beach SC. Shortly after our arrival I took my wife to urgent care for a damaged sciatic nerve that the doctors attribute to the long rough ride. After 2 weeks of excruciating pain and inability to sit I made a bed in the back of the truck and brought her back home laying on a foam pad. She has been taking physical therapy 3 times a week for the last 2 months. Her doctor at home concurred that it was probably the rough ride that did her in. We never had a problem from the many trips over the last 15 years of driving our older Tahoe and Yukon on those trips several times per year.

To fix the problem I just finished installing Escalade front springs #23312163 in my Tahoe tonight. Modification of the lower coil on each spring was needed. Apparently the diameter of the HD shock is larger than that of the magnetic ride shock and the tail of the coil had to be thinned down by about 3/8". I only drove the vehicle for 30 minutes and it appears to be worth the effort and gives a significant difference in ride.

Back springs for an Escalade #23152539 are the same as those used on a Tahoe LTZ and have been ordered. I will be installing them this week end.

Last edited:

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Yep, just took a new 2015 Z71 Tahoe and LTZ Tahoe for comparision and the Z71 ride seemed more compliant and composed ride. I am in a 2015 LTZ for a few day and I will say that its still a great ride. I myself have wondered if the Mag Sus can be paired with the air springs. I have the Max Trailering package and checked under the vehicle and did not see anything besides the shocks and the coils. No air springs that I could see anywhere. I think the same goes for the Z71, there is no way to add the Max Trailering package with the airsprings. GM sure does make things complicated.

I crawled under a bunch of Tahoes and Escalades trying to get codes to help decide what springs to change to. All the LTZ's as well as Escalades with trailer option that I looked at had the air shocks. The air suspension is incorporated into the shock. Look at the top of the rear shock on your Tahoe and you will see (or feel) the air bag. They all had electromagnetic front shocks with air assist in back. Now I am curious because it appears you lose the electromagnetic feature in the rear shocks if you opt for the max trailer package with air shock. I didn't check for any electrical connections on those air shocks. It would be interesting to compare the ride of a standard LTZ against the ride of one with the max trailer option which has increased capacity springs and air shocks.

When comparing ride quality, another factor would be the tire size. The 18" tires have a bigger sidewall to compress than the lower profile 20" or 22" tires. The 18' tires might not look as nice but should give a better ride.

The Z71 does not offer the max trailer package but has fancy looking red shocks that of course don't have the air bag. They have the better 3.42 axle ratio but don't offer the electric brake control. Of course manually filled air shocks could easily be added inexpensively for trailering. Adding the factory electric brake might be pricey but universal units to mount below the dash are available. The Z71 also has neat chrome steps and a sexy grill #22936488 that carries a whopping list price of $644.

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaiusini View Post

You guys must be kidding!! This truck doesn't have 1/2 the ride of my 2001 Yukon or 96 Tahoe. I see one of you drives in Arizona/California and the other on TX where you must have great roads. I live in Michigan with probably the worst roads in the country so ride quality is important to me. I read in an advertisement that with the new coil over shock design they were able to INCREASE the spring stiffness by 35%. They weren't kidding.

The beginning of March my wife and I drove our 2015 Tahoe LT with the max trailer option to our Condo in Myrtle Beach SC. Shortly after our arrival I took my wife to urgent care for a damaged sciatic nerve that the doctors attribute to the long rough ride. After 2 weeks of excruciating pain and inability to sit I made a bed in the back of the truck and brought her back home laying on a foam pad. She has been taking physical therapy 3 times a week for the last 2 months. Her doctor at home concurred that it was probably the rough ride that did her in. We never had a problem from the many trips over the last 15 years of driving our older Tahoe and Yukon on those trips several times per year.

To fix the problem I just finished installing Escalade front springs #23312163 in my Tahoe tonight. Modification of the lower coil on each spring was needed. Apparently the diameter of the HD shock is larger than that of the magnetic ride shock and the tail of the coil had to be thinned down by about 5/8". I only drove the vehicle for 30 minutes and it appears to be worth the effort and gives a significant difference in ride.

Back springs for an Escalade #23152539 are the same as those used on a Tahoe LTZ and have been ordered. I will be installing them this week end.

No, I'm not kidding.
Didn't you drive it before you bought it? I drive all kinds of roads and off road. The ride is great. I owned a '97 Suburban 2500 4x4, ride on this is better, I still own a 2003 GMC HD2500 4x4, the ride on my 2015 Tahoe is so much better than that truck, it's not comparable. You obviously should not be driving a truck or SUV if you're laid up after driving it. Maybe you should have got a Buick or Cadillac?

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Valid Comparison?????

No, I'm not kidding.
Didn't you drive it before you bought it? I drive all kinds of roads and off road. The ride is great. I owned a '97 Suburban 2500 4x4, ride on this is better, I still own a 2003 GMC HD2500 4x4, the ride on my 2015 Tahoe is so much better than that truck, it's not comparable. You obviously should not be driving a truck or SUV if you're laid up after driving it. Maybe you should have got a Buick or Cadillac?

So you are comparing the ride of a light duty 1500 series Tahoe to your experience with the ride of two heavy duty 2500 series trucks. That certainly explains why you think the Tahoe rides great.

If you want to make an additional Apples to Oranges comparison, my 2015 Tahoe does ride much better than my 3500 dually. And the ride is absolutely amazing when compared to my 7000 series stake truck!!!!

73Vetteman

Reaction score
GREAT ride now.

After installing the #23312163 Escalade front springs and Escalade/LTZ rear springs #23152539 in my 2015 Tahoe LT, the ride is dramatically improved.

The max trailering suspension was way too harsh on my 2015 LT. I ordered my Tahoe with the max trailer package for the electric brake controller and the air lift shocks but didn't expect the springs to be so stiff they knock the fillings in my teeth out. I still own a 2001 Yukon and a 1996 Tahoe, both with the trailer option and both have a very acceptable ride. That is what I expected but certainly didn't receive with my 2015 Tahoe.

Those of you with an LTZ with max trailer package should benefit considerably by just switching the front springs to the ones I used. I suspect that those Escalade springs would also improve the ride of an LTZ that doesn't have the max trailering option. The list price on those springs is only $55 each. Installation on a vehicle with the magnetic shocks should be an easy 1 hour job if you have access to a hoist. Advance Auto and O'Reilly's rent strut spring compressors for free. The LS and LT models with the max trailer package use a larger diameter shock so are a little more challenging to install. Some grinding on the very bottom coil of the spring was needed to clear the larger shock absorber mounting pad.

Unless you spend most of the time pulling a very heavy trailer with lots of tongue weight, I feel that changing to springs that give a comfortable ride is the best investment you can make.

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crawled under a bunch of Tahoes and Escalades..... It would be interesting to compare the ride of a standard LTZ against the ride of one with the max trailer option which has increased capacity springs and air shocks.

When comparing ride quality, another factor would be the tire size. The 18" tires have a bigger sidewall to compress than the lower profile 20" or 22" tires. The 18' tires might not look as nice but should give a better ride.

The Z71 does not offer the max trailer package ....

That's probably why my LT 4x4 with Max Trailering rides nice... it does have auto leveling air suspension on the rear axle. I couldn't imagine anyone complaining of a rough ride in it.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
I can't stand my magnetic ride control. It stinks! You think GM would make this a new and special feature because of the technology!? I want them out and switch to something better. If anyone find better, please post.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I can't stand my magnetic ride control. It stinks! You think GM would make this a new and special feature because of the technology!? I want them out and switch to something better. If anyone find better, please post.

I don't think your shocks are to blame. When paired to better front springs you should be very pleased. Try changing the front springs to the #23312163 ones I used. Your LTZ should already have the #23152539 rear springs with a big AAS2 on the tag.

Changing to the Escalade springs was probably the best modification I could have done to my truck. It made a world of difference in my truck and since the change I am thrilled with the ride. We just got back from a 450 mile trip and my wife can't believe it is the same vehicle.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna get a buddy of mine to help install asap. I'll let you know the difference for sure. Fingers crossed.

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are comparing the ride of a light duty 1500 series Tahoe to your experience with the ride of two heavy duty 2500 series trucks. That certainly explains why you think the Tahoe rides great.

If you want to make an additional Apples to Oranges comparison, my 2015 Tahoe does ride much better than my 3500 dually. And the ride is absolutely amazing when compared to my 7000 series stake truck!!!!

I also own a 2015 BMW 7 series and a 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe. I know what a good ride is and I still think the ride is great on my Tahoe. I don't have the magnetic ride control, maybe that's the problem?

mjpopp

Reaction score
Here's my story

I complained to GM at a recent car show. I ended up with a call from GM corporate which I did not expect. In the end Gm made the following changes:

Replaced:

8033641 Shock Absorber - Both sides
23312155 Front spring both sides
23267007 W -(S) Absorber both sides
8044751 Rear Shock Absorber both sides
2810145 Electronic Suspension Control Module Reprogramming with SPS

In the end, these modifications did little for the ride. It is slightly smoother but still a terrible ride. GM engineers say this is within their specifications and how the suspension was designed. I will love to throw my spilled coffee in their laps.

Vetteman, Did you drive an Escalade to feel the difference with the springs first? Just wondering how you came to the conclusion the try the springs. I don't care about the money to get new springs, I just want a decent riding vehicle. Ready to trade-in or drive this thing off a cliff.

My advice, Don't buy an LTZ. The ride sucks!!!

Thanks,

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Escalade Ride

Vetteman, Did you drive an Escalade to feel the difference with the springs first? Just wondering how you came to the conclusion to try the springs. I don't care about the money to get new springs, I just want a decent riding vehicle. Ready to trade-in or drive this thing off a cliff.
Thanks,

I assumed the Escalade would have the best ride of all the GM SUV's. Yes, I did test drive an Escalade to help make my decision and felt it had a better ride than any Yukon or Tahoe I tested. You might consider test driving one yourself.

If you use the #23312163 Escalade front springs you should be able to duplicate that ride on your LTZ.

You should already have the code AAS2 rear springs like the Escalade. Check the tags. If you don't, I have a spare set I can sell you cheap.