2015 LTZ . . . Service 4WD warning light . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralphtt1

Reaction score
I have gotten the "Service 4WD" warning twice on my '15 Tahoe. First time at about 2880 miles and second time yesterday at 3860 miles. In each case the transfer case was in 4WD, the "Service 4WD" warning was on and the vehicle was in 4WD (not auto). Steering was stiff and I could feel the front axle binding due to being in 4WD on dry pavement. The vehicle was parked in my garage in 2WD when the engine was stopped. This problem showed up when I cranked up and backed out of the garage.

In each case I took the Tahoe to the dealer and a technician re-programmed the front transfer case somehow. Took about ten minutes. Today, the technician told me the programming was completely changed from the original programming. When I asked if this was something I could fix on my own, he said "no way . . . "requires a computer and our computer software".

This is somewhat disconcerting to me since I'm often bouncing around off-road and may be several miles from a dealer. Don't want to drive any distance with 4WD binding up like it does.

Anyone else have this experience with their 4WD Tahoe? Any advice (or consolation) appreciated! :help:

Tobh415

Reaction score
I just read this

It looks like it is a known issue with GM and it looks like they know how to fix it with software.:

Some 2014 Silverado and Sierra trucks and 2015 Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon and Escalade models equipped with four-wheel drive (RPOs NQH, NP0) built prior to September 7, 2014 or that have had the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM) reprogrammed prior to September 7, 2014 may have a repeat Service 4WD

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3718

ralphtt1

Reaction score
Thanks, Tobh415 . . . appears the technician at my dealer knew what he was talking about. Hopefully, his software update fixed the warning light so that it won't be a recurring problem.

Maybe GM finally got it right. :boti:

ralphtt1

Reaction score
Well . . . GM did NOT get it right. Happened again today at 4305 miles . . . was coyote hunting and moving to my second stand when the "4 WD" warning light came on. Same deal as before . . . 4 WD shifter not working . . . locked up in 4 WD . . . had to drive 26 miles to the dealer who said on the phone they could not get to it until next week.

Told the dealer I was on the way and the technician fixed the problem in less than ten minutes last time. Suggested they have a loaner vehicle ready for me it it could not be fixed when I arrived.

Long story short . . . the technician had me ready to go before lunch. He showed me the latest software update from GM. It was dated October 17 and makes me wonder if GM really knows what they are doing. Otherwise they would have fixed it correctly the first time.

This is a real turnoff for me. I spend a lot of time offroad in my predator hunting hobby and am rapidly losing faith in my Tahoe and the folks who built it. Dealer's service department is doing a really good job but just not getting much help from GM.

Anyone else out there with a similar problem . . . ?? :uhoh2:

:whymewhyme:

:shrug:

:Frustrated: