96 chevy tahoe 5.7 liter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buba943

Reaction score
I have a 96 Chevy Tahoe I put in a new alternator and when it's idling it's running about 12 volts as so on as I put it into gear the volt gauge drops below 10 volts and doesn't have enough power to run the lights

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moderator, please move to correct forum....

Have you tried a new Alternator? Was it NEW or REMAN, what brand?

buba943

Reaction score
Yes I have checked it it's a new one and the brand is tough one or something like that new battery in it to

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the charging system checked?

buba943

Reaction score
Bought it at Advance Auto Parts what do you mean by charging system the alternator charges it

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance can put a small handheld device on the battery with car running and turn lights and such on and it can analyze the battery and alternator system...

buba943

Reaction score
Yes I've had that done he said battery was bad got a new one same problem

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cables tight? Ground straps good? Cable ends not corroded?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are brave/ careful I would take a Digital Multimeter and probe voltage at battery, Alternator stud (reference to engine block), and fuse block with engine running, also stop it and unhook the battery lead off the alternator and repeat testing.

Sounds like you got a DUD new alternator....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so 18v at alternator and battery is BAD. You are cooking off the battery and possibly have damaged something else in the truck, I would stop using the car immediately and exchange the alternator out for a good one.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible to damage PCM, actually anything electronic that was designed for 10-15v range, things like injectors/pump motors, etc will usually be ok, but your PCM and Radio could have suffered damage....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCM (Powertrain Control Module) The computer that controls the engine and transmission, black box that sits on the drivers side fender.....

I woudl look at returning and exchanging the Alternator, tell them regulated voltage is WAY too high...