Parasitic Draw from radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jphelps

Reaction score
All, I have a 2004 Tahoe and have recently determined I have a parasitic draw stemming from the radio. When the vehicle sits for an extended period (roughly 24 hours or more) there will not be enough power in the battery to start the vehicle. Otherwise everything works fine. The battery has tested good. In doing some research we determined the cause of the battery drain could be due to a parasitic draw and through some testing it was determined that fuse 15A in the under hood fuse box is pulling about 3 amps when the car is off. However, now that we've diagnosed the source of the draw I'm not certain how to determine exactly where in the wiring the issue may lay. All components of the radio and speakers are factory, no changes or adjustments have recently been made. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All, I have a 2004 Tahoe and have recently determined I have a parasitic draw stemming from the radio. When the vehicle sits for an extended period (roughly 24 hours or more) there will not be enough power in the battery to start the vehicle. Otherwise everything works fine. The battery has tested good. In doing some research we determined the cause of the battery drain could be due to a parasitic draw and through some testing it was determined that fuse 15A in the under hood fuse box is pulling about 3 amps when the car is off. However, now that we've diagnosed the source of the draw I'm not certain how to determine exactly where in the wiring the issue may lay. All components of the radio and speakers are factory, no changes or adjustments have recently been made. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A 3 amp draw is a bunch. Head unit for radio problems? Now may be the time to go aftermarket. Won't be a short because no blown fuses. If you just want to delay the inspection and possible replacement of radio you can put a battery disconnect at the battery to protect while engine is shut off but all other memory functions will be lost. Clock, stations...etc. I have even seen where the PCM takes a bit to relearn the engine running trim and then the engine runs funny for a bit at first start up.