Dimmer Switch Cutting Out Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dg5887

Reaction score
I just installed a new CD player in my 96 Tahoe and the dimmer switch is cutting out the speakers. When the dimmer switch is less than approximately 50 percent the speakers work, once you go above 50 percent the speakers shut off, although the CD player remains on. Any clues on what I did wrong or how to fix? Thanks!

dg5887

Reaction score
The CD player is mounted in the center dash, replacing the factory radio.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck did you cross up some wires? The dimmer is a rheostat with adjustable resistance. Sounds like you got a wire of speakers crossed somewhere, especially if they worked correctly before. Did the existing power and ground source just plug right in or did you have to patch in somewhere else?

dg5887

Reaction score
O.K. So I am getting closer to what the problem is. I just need to find the solution. When I initially installed the CD player only the front speakers would work. I did some research on these Tahoe forums and found out that the rear speakers have their own amplifier and that I needed to connect the player's blue/white stripe wire (REM OUT) to the purple wire (display dim). This worked and the back speakers turned on. Once I reconnected the dash and plugged in the light controls all the speakers cut out although the CD player was still on. After tinkering around a bit I found that when I turned the dimmer down the speakers would come back on. After looking at the CD players wiring diagram again I see that the REM OUT says "Max. Supply current 0.4A.". So, I am thinking as I adjust the dimmer switch up it goes above 0.4A thus cutting out the speakers somehow. What I need to know now is where am I supposed to connect this REM OUT so that it will not be supplied more than 0.4A. Any thoughts?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Remote does not connect to the display dim, Remote/ Antenna power leads should get hooked up, most remote leads on head units are blue, and there should be a corresponding blue wire in the adapter for the stock harness.....