Non Adjustable Crossbars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC Tahoe

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I bought a 2015 black LT in August and absolutely love it. With ski/snowboard season starting in the northeast I bought crossbars from the dealership and put them on the roof only to realize that they are not adjustable. One option makes them to close together and the other option makes them to far apart. Am I missing something? I cant believe I purchased a $60K SUV for my family to use as a ski vehicle and it has a major design flaw like this.

OC Tahoe

Reaction score
The package was a plain cardboard box. There are only 2 fixed positions one is too small and one is too big. I didn't ask at the counter because over the last 23 years I have owned 12 different SUVs and never thought that a crossbar would not slide up and down and be adjustable on the roof rails. I will be returning them next week and if this is the system that they continue to use I will go back to the expedition. I'm disappointed, because we drive 3 hours every weekend to the mountains and now won't be able to take our biggest, newest, nicest vehicle.

OC Tahoe

Reaction score
After Markets will not work, since they would lock into the same positions. The problem is the roof rails are not raised, but flush against the roof. It is the worst design I have ever seen on any vehicle, let alone an 8 Passenger SUV.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, now don't get mad and blow up but as the salesman is likely thinking as you tell him what a poor design it is, "If the ski season is so important to you and it was bought, as you say, as a ski vehicle, why didn't you check for that before you bought instead of just assuming?"

Now on to what can be tried to remedy. Surely there must be a way to adapt something to them when they are too far apart that would allow them to work.

OC Tahoe

Reaction score
The one I test drove had crossbars on it. I never thought to measure them or check if they were adjustable. I will for now on and will go back to an Expedition if the roof rails are the same. The remedy for now is to leave one of my quad cab pickups at my ski house for the winter and travel back and forth from the beach to the mountains in the Tahoe or our other mid size SUV.