GPS Antenna Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had to take our new Tahoe in for service. First off, the OnStar app and system works pretty well. I've been impressed with it. I got an alert on my phone from the system telling me to hit the blue button next time I was in the car. The system had detected a fault with the GPS antenna.

We continued to drive the car for a while until I could make arrangements to get it in to a dealer for service. We were hoping the antenna just needed calibration. I set up an appointment at a local GM dealer (yes, I said GM dealer; not a Chevy dealer. I went this route because I don't have confidence in my local Chevy dealer). This one happens to be a Cadillac dealership. When I set the appointment up, the extremely professional service advisor told me that they have been having issues with the antennas in the Escalades. They would troubleshoot and try to recalibrate the antenna, but warned me that it could require antenna replacement. The kicker with this is that the parts are on backorder from GM. They told me that they have been waiting over a month for parts for some Escalades.

Today, they checked things out. No quick, easy fix for us. Need a new antenna. Our name is now on the backorder list... Hopefully, GM will get the parts supply figured out pretty quickly...

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Well, it is confirmed... we need a new antenna. Now it is the waiting game for the new part to show up.

kjason

Reaction score
Same exact issue in my new Tahoe. Less than 30 days after owning and GPS issue has struck. Dealership said they get a minimum of 1 2015 Tahoe/Suburban a day with the issue.

The new antenna is so backordered he said it could be a month+ before they can get it fixed.

tmac36879

Reaction score
Just noticed today while driving my 2015 Tahoe in Alabama, the navigation map had me in Georgia and the GPS icon had a red "x" across it. Is this a similar problem that any of you have experienced?

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed today while driving my 2015 Tahoe in Alabama, the navigation map had me in Georgia and the GPS icon had a red "x" across it. Is this a similar problem that any of you have experienced?

Is you compass reading correctly in the DIC? In ours, it started reading "CAL" instead of a direction. There was a brief time where it started displaying a direction again, but it was about 180 degrees off. The OnStar button on the mirror is also showing a steady red light.

OnStar had actually notified me before I noticed the DIC saying "CAL" and the red light....

kjason

Reaction score
Mine always shows CAL. Been waiting on the new antenna to show up for 3 weeks now. Dealership still doesn't have an ETA on the part.

tmac36879

Reaction score
Yes, noticed that mine is also showing CAL. Took it by my local GM dealer this afternoon and got to go back tomorrow morning for them to run the test. Informed them of the information found here that you guys have posted and made them aware of the back order on the new antenna as well.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 2

Antenna is still on backorder from GM. The service advisor at the dealership has been great to work with. I just wish GM would get the damn parts out...

bladenbullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a former service manager i can tell you the frustration when a supplier issue results in backordered parts with no light at the end of the tunnel is staggering...gm is probably having issues with a supplier and is exhausting every avenue they have to get the parts right...it may be a deign/engineering issue or an out of business supplier...

when the economy crashed we saw many suppliers drop off the grid and finding others who could tool up and produce components was a big issue...

its not for people not trying...there is a large network of very dedicated people who spend a lot of time trying to resolve issues like these...unfortunately even with all their efforts there are serious customer inconveniences...'

i was fortunate enough to get in the good graces with someone high up in the chain and would utilize them when i had serious problems....but even they couldnt do much when the parts availability just plain did not exist...

dj288

Reaction score
Identical issue experienced. Purchased new 2015 Tahoe in December 2015 and GPS had red x from day one but was working. A few weeks into ownership when my wife was on a trip to Rhode Island it starting showing the vehicle in the ocean and then ultimately shows we are stuck in Delaware (although vehicle never went to Delaware). A week for an appointment at the dealer. Told them about these posts and others noting similar issues and ultimately the same result. Part needed is GPS antenna and module, on back order with no ETA. I will keep posted with any news/updates from Chevy/GM regarding the parts, would appreciate if anyone else has updates.

dj288

Reaction score
No sooner did I post then do I get a call from the dealership that the new antenna is in. Has to painted and then installed. Hopefully this means any backlog on the parts has been resolved and others can get fixed quickly.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No call from our dealer yet. I know there were others waiting before us, so I imagine if parts are still somewhat limited others at this dealership will get theirs before we get ours.

dj288

Reaction score
Just got the truck back with new antenna installed, only drove a few minutes but seems to be working

Fdnyfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad GPS Antenna Also

Realized that my dashboard said "CAL", but didn't pay too much attention to it. Hit the Navigation icon and NO GPS signal. Called On-Star and they confirmed my GPS Antenna was bad.

I'm in PA and my unit shows me in VT

Will be calling the Dealership on Monday to make an appointment.

gps3.jpg

gps2.jpg

gps1.jpg

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we're still waiting for our parts. They are still on backorder :(:(

Fdnyfish - get your new antenna ordered ASAP and be prepared for a long wait for parts....

Fdnyfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was ordered today. I will start raising hell in a week

kjason

Reaction score
Took almost two months for the part to come in and get mine replaced. Good luck!

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was ordered today. I will start raising hell in a week
Probably going to take longer than a week. We've been waiting for two months - along with several other folks in our area :( :( :(

Hopefully GM clears up the supply issue quick...

Fdnyfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took my complaint to Twitter. It's been 1 week