Synthetic Oil use in 2015 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWRed

Reaction score
Hey Forum,

I'm a new member and Tahoe owner. Is there any advice on using a high quality synthetic in the 15 with the AFM? I ran Mobil 1 in my 04 2500 Burb for 10+ years. It had the 8.1, so oil use was a concern pulling a 25' Haulmark.

Now with the new tech engine in the Tahoe, I'm wondering whether the cost for oil will be worth it.

JW

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer to your question is yes. I have switched ours over to Mobil 1 full synthetic already. Oil change interval can be extended to about 10k with the full synthetic. The real key is to make sure you use the proper viscosity oil...

mickey5

Reaction score
Why pay for oil changes when GM gives them free for the first 2 years and some dealers provide them free for many years. It's a gift!

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why pay for oil changes when GM gives them free for the first 2 years and some dealers provide them free for many years. It's a gift!

Because that way I know it has been done correctly, done quickly, and at a time convenient for me. Not all dealer techs do a quality job...

JWRed

Reaction score
Not all oil is the same. Personally, I've used synthetics in my last three vehicles (Burb 2500, Z06, and Cam SS) with good results.

My major concern is with the 5.3 in the Tahoe and the AFM.

Red

mickey5

Reaction score
My '15 Tahoe LT oil filler cap states Dexos 1 and 0-20 viscosity. GM gives you the first 2 years free plus whatever dealer incentives are offered. Have 10K on the clock with no issues except I mostly drive in M5 to get rid of the V4 drone and steering wheel vibration.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all oil is the same. Personally, I've used synthetics in my last three vehicles (Burb 2500, Z06, and Cam SS) with good results.

My major concern is with the 5.3 in the Tahoe and the AFM.

Red

True, not all oil is the same. Each major manufacturer has their own "special formula" that offers certain things. That being said, generally speaking full synthetic oils perform better than regular or blended oils.

Mobil 1 (and I'm sure other full synthetics) meet the Dexos 1 standard. Basically, the Dexos 1 standard is a blend of synthetic and regular oil. There is no issue with switching to a full synthetic oil and the AFM really doesn't have an impact on the oil needed/used in the engine. The key is to make sure you stick with the recommended viscosity, 0W-20. No putting the Vette's 5W-30 Mobil 1 in the Tahoe. The engine design, lube system, and internal clearances need the "thinner" oil.

Big Rich

Reaction score
Does the 2015 Chevy Tahoe require 9 quarts of 0W/20 Synthetic Motor Oil?

ChicagoTahoe

Reaction score
True, not all oil is the same. Each major manufacturer has their own "special formula" that offers certain things. That being said, generally speaking full synthetic oils perform better than regular or blended oils.

Mobil 1 (and I'm sure other full synthetics) meet the Dexos 1 standard. Basically, the Dexos 1 standard is a blend of synthetic and regular oil. There is no issue with switching to a full synthetic oil and the AFM really doesn't have an impact on the oil needed/used in the engine. The key is to make sure you stick with the recommended viscosity, 0W-20. No putting the Vette's 5W-30 Mobil 1 in the Tahoe. The engine design, lube system, and internal clearances need the "thinner" oil.

36,000 ml on my 2015 LTZ.
Using nothing but Mobil 1 (5W-30) and not one single issue.
I change my oil every 5 K.